1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tracking Children

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Trick Dog, Mar 15, 2011.

1. At my school I have to use the eprofile to track the children and I am becoming increasingly frustrated with it. I personally don't think it should be used as a tracking tool but it is okay as a summative assessment at the end of the year. However 'people' want to see evidence of tracking. Does anyone use the development matters document as a way of tracking the children instead of eprofile?

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

Tracking? Yes. This links well with the Evidence thread.

3. I use both; I update the profile after every half term to help see which strands need addressing for the whole class and if there are any gaps in individuals learning. I use development matters to track the children as to what level they are working at. I often find that the children who have scale points 1, 2 and 3 then struggle to get the specifics of 4-8 but tracking them on development matters means you can show their progress even though it might look like they're "stuck" on eprofile.

4. Thanks how do you use the developmental matters then for tracking do you have a sheet and highlight parts. Also is this manageable doing this and eprofile every half term I feel frustrated with eprofile but don't want to create myself more work for no reason. However I am expected to produce evidence to prove the children are making progress - senior management love graphs and charts!

5. We only use e-profile in June as a summative assessment. For tracking we use the ages and stages sheets highlighting each term in a different colour. You can then see their progress. We assess whether they are emergent (less than %25 highlighted) developing (25 - 75%) or secure (Over 25%). ineach area this shows progress in smaller chunks and gaps can easlily be seen. Hope thats useful.

6. We just assess the observations made of the children and put these on our own tracking grids so you can see at a glance where each child is at. Definitely don't make more work for yourself :)