1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Track and Trace.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by rooney1, Aug 10, 2020.

1. rooney1

rooney1 Occasional commenter

Just read that David King is asking for local government to run track and trace rather than serco. The county council and borough councils where I live were amazingly fast at setting up the volunteer system to help people. Much quicker than the goodSam app. Would they be better at track and trace?

monicabilongame likes this.
  2. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

I understood that local health teams and environmental health officers already did this type of work for food poisoning etc. I assume that experience plus local knowledge would make them more effective at track and trace than callers recruited with no prior experience. Indeed I am certain it was publised some time ago that health experts told the government this.

sodalime, bombaysapphire and gainly like this.
  3. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Senior commenter

Most people don't answer their mobile phones when they are at work. Most people don't answer their mobile phones to unknown numbers.

The government doesn't really understand how most people live their lives.
    That is why their track and trace system is failing

4. rooney1

rooney1 Occasional commenter

Do they text people who don't answer?

Jamvic likes this.
  5. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

This would make sense. As @Corvuscorax20 says many just won’t answer the phone for an unknown caller.

6. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

David King has talked a lot of sense during Covid.

7. gainly

gainly Star commenter

This is what everyone who seems to understand such things has been saying all along, since well before the national system with Serco ever started. I don't suppose the government will take any notice. A functioning track and trace system is less important than giving money to their mates.

I'm surprised Serco has't been put in charge of the National Tutoring Programme, or maybe they have?

EmanuelShadrack and Jamvic like this.
  8. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

What really needs tracking is how many contracts have been awarded by the governent since the Health Protection (Coronavirus) Regulations 2020 came into effect that didn't have the usual scrutiny required and tracing how many of them went to Tory party doners or Cummings' mates.

9. WolfPaul

WolfPaul Occasional commenter

10. gainly

gainly Star commenter

11. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Not in my experience , For most people it is the way to contact them rather than ringing a building you think they might be in,.

12. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

I always read a text. I sometimes answer the phone. Who is behind this farcical charade ? If there's an issue with people answering the phone, then text them. Gawd.

Morninglover likes this.
  13. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

If they won't answer the phone, why do you think they will take any notice of a text from a stranger? The real issue is that some will ignore contact because they don't want to lose their job through having to isolate, and neither do they want their friends to face the same fate.

14. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

The caller ID has to be something worthy such as DANGER OF DEATH PLEASE READ.

15. gainly

gainly Star commenter

If they text them how do they know if the person has read the text and whether they've taken any notice of it.

16. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

I'm sure the text when opened registers with the sender as having been opened (Whatsapp does)

17. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I think only personal contact will work, hence the change in tracing arrangements announced today.