1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TPS query - missing year

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by emilyisobel, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Hi
    I don't know if I am being daft here but I've just been looking at my pension statement and noticed a missing year. I've worked at the same place since September 1999 but this gives my employment dates as 01/09/1999 to 31/03/2009 and the same LEA from 01/04/2010 to 31/03/2011. This gives a missing year. I don't want to ring payroll on Tuesday and find that it is something silly on my part - has something odd happened that I don't know about? I had pension deductions taken from my salary in that missing year.

2. Hi
    I don't know if I am being daft here but I've just been looking at my pension statement and noticed a missing year. I've worked at the same place since September 1999 but this gives my employment dates as 01/09/1999 to 31/03/2009 and the same LEA from 01/04/2010 to 31/03/2011. This gives a missing year. I don't want to ring payroll on Tuesday and find that it is something silly on my part - has something odd happened that I don't know about? I had pension deductions taken from my salary in that missing year.

3. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

You can ring TPS who will tell you to contact payroll. They will want a letter or email from you stating missing dates, it's a fairly simple process whereby they look up your service and send it again to TPS. It should all be resolved in a matter of weeks.

4. I'm going to ring payroll on Tuesday. I wonder if it has happened to anyone else.

5. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

It happened to a lot of people when our LA switched payroll service providers: a few years earlier than your gap, but it could well be a similar problem of botched communication. But easily fixable.

6. Yes it has happened to me. And this thread has reminded me to chase it up. I left teaching briefly for another job and then returned to teaching in a different LA. It is only because I checked (due to transferring pension into the TPS) that I noticed the dates were wrong. I am missing 2 terms of service. I contacted payroll at the first LA and they sent me a form to complete. Then I got a letter saying that they would eventually get to look at it but that was months ago and I haven't heard anything so I will contact them again. I'm guessing missing service is more common than you would think seeing as most people wouldn't have any reason to check!

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I believe that one of my periods of missing service was to do with a change in payroll administration. Looking at my payslips, I noticed a different payroll number at one point.
    I also had to write to the LA on several occasions some years ago as they had my middle name spelt wrongly on my P60 and when I requested a check on the information on my file discovered that they had my date of birth as June 1980, when I was born in the winter of 1953!
    Everyone should check their record before they forget or destroy paperwork that will prove their pension deductions.
    Hold onto P60s at least. I keep payslips too and my diaries detailing my supply bookings.
    Get your TPS record checked to last March 31st and then verify each year that they've added the correct periods when you get your annual statement.

8. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Me too.
    I wrote to payroll including copies of the relevant payslips.
    And that was a few weeks ago so I must chase it up with a phonecall.

9. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

We had the same problem and it took years to sort out. It only affected those close to retirement, as the school did all the nagging of the LA, but it was a bit irritating.

10. I'm ringing payroll tomorrow. I will update after that. I've also contacted TES and asked them to investigate the problem as it seems to be happening to a lot of people.

11. I've had service missing from my pension too - I got a year added back, but there is still a term missing (from the end of one financial year until the Sept when I started a new post)

12. Just rung payroll and got transferred to HR. They said that my record with them is fine and that she would get onto TPS and sort it out.
    This is happening to too many people. How many people are not checking or not checking carefully enough? The statements come out at a busy time of year and, if you are a long way from retirement, don't really seem important at the time.