1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TPS and Survivor Benefits

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by DaveFarnen, Oct 28, 2017.

1. DaveFarnen

DaveFarnen New commenter

Hi,
    I have a TPS pension based on 34 years of service from 1978 to 2011 and I retired in Aug 2011.
    My wife died in early 2012 and I am now with a new partner (unmarried).
    I nominated my partner for a survivors' pension about 3 years ago.
    My partner only has about half of the maximum state pension as a source of income and is dependent on me.
    Our personal finances are intertwined and this can be corroborated through bank statements.

In the event that I should predecease my partner, am I right in thinking that she will be eligible for receipt of a TPS pension based on my service?

Any advice gratefully received.

2. baitranger

baitranger New commenter

If you want a definitive answer, you should write to teachers pensions. I think your partner will get only a very small amount unless you marry her. I don't think she can inherit your state pension under the new regulations if you marry her, but I'm not sure so you need to ask about that in writing. I say in writing, because it would be better to have evidence.

3. ikon66

ikon66 Occasional commenter

As far as I’ve read she will be as long as you can prove she’s contributed financially to the household. It’s 50% iirc. Was just reading about it on TP website a while ago