1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Toys from a Ks2 perspective!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lucyjane89, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Help!

I am a trainee teacher on my final placement, the class novel is Noah Barleywater runs away by John Boyne (highly recommended for year 5/6!). As the book revolves around a magical toy workshop I have chosen toys as my topic. I can find lots of stuff on toys for Ks1 but applying this for Ks2 is proving a challenge without it seeming too dull.
    So far I have

Dance- Movement of toys, links well into class novel and hopefully class play by the end of my placement.
    History- Development of toys, technology etc
    Geography- Toys from other cultures
    DT- design and create own toys (use of cams?)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. Help!

I am a trainee teacher on my final placement, the class novel is Noah Barleywater runs away by John Boyne (highly recommended for year 5/6!). As the book revolves around a magical toy workshop I have chosen toys as my topic. I can find lots of stuff on toys for Ks1 but applying this for Ks2 is proving a challenge without it seeming too dull.
    So far I have

Dance- Movement of toys, links well into class novel and hopefully class play by the end of my placement.
    History- Development of toys, technology etc
    Geography- Toys from other cultures
    DT- design and create own toys (use of cams?)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

You could look at the development of 'new technology toys' as it's KS2 and look in particular at development of Robots (not technically Toys but children will probably see them as toys), would lead to some good Dance and Music work, good links to toys of othere times with Victorians and Tudors which might be more KS2 orientated. Your idea of cams for DT is good and you could also look at different directions of motion-rotation horizontal & vertical, rocking motions. PMFL is easy for vocab linked to I like/ don't like, I have / don't have in appropriate language & revise use of adjectives of colour & size to describe them. Lots of links in Maths-pricing of course, size and measures.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Do check with your placement school that children haven't done the Toys topic in KS1. There is lots around because lots and lots of schools study it. If yours has, then you might need to rethink.