1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Toys for boys

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by snowcloud, Mar 7, 2012.

1. snowcloud

snowcloud New commenter

Just wanted to ask what have you found the best toys to be for a 1 1/2 to 2 yr old? We seem to be outgowing baby toys now, thanks.

2. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

My son is nearly 3 now, but we bought him a garage when he was 18 months and he still loves playing with that. He's always loved cars, fire engines, helicopters etc. He also loves Duplo and has had it since he was 14 months, but obviously now he's older he can do more with it.
    He's always been more active though and prefers to go to the beach to throw pebbles into the sea, or running round the park, throwing a ball (see the throwing theme here?!). We got him a big digger and dump truck he can take to play with in the sand pit in the park.
    My 9 month old daughter plays with all his toys and loves them too.

3. My LO is 16 months - we have older toys ready because his birthday was at the end of October and Christmas we knew he would need older toys in the summer. We got a little tykes car, quad bike, rocking horse - all of which are still inside but are going to be making a move outside very soon. He also has a garage, car transporter, helicopter, duplo and a pedal giraffe (these last 2 are the only toys that he can't play with at the moment) books are still the favourite though. It is scary how obsessed he is with them.

4. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

My son was obsessed with books until quite recently. He still loves his books - his keyworker at nursery said he was practically reciting The Gruffalo word-for-word the other day - but now he's talking so much and can play with more things he isn't making us read him about 20 stories a day! Now he likes counting, and i even managed to teach him the alphabet.
    It's interesting how much they change, and also how different they are. My daughter isn't that bothered about books at the moment, she likes toys and playing with her brother.

5. Chica thats a relief about reading less stories - I know as a teacher I shouldn't say that - but we spend hours and hours reading books - He knows them and knows if you try to miss pages out (I know I am naughty) will also look at them by himself for ages and ages. He can't recite the Gruffalo or Squelch and a Squeeze or One ted falls out of bed but I definitely can! He can count 1, 2, 3 but I think he has just learned the pattern rather than understanding what he is saying.
    Sorry OP for hijacking post

6. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Yes, I can recite The Gruffalo, The Gruffalo's Child, The Snail and the Whale....
    From about 18 months my son started to take an interest in those toddler books, the 'my 100 first words' kind of thing, and then with his books he liked being tested on things, so 'where's the seagull, where's the boat?' and then he moved on to naming them himself. He also started naming colours.
    I can't remember when the numbers obsession started, but we live in a 2nd floor flat and he likes counting all the stairs! He can count into the 20s on his own. He'll be 3 in June so he's obviously a lot older than your son. You have a Jack too don't you?
    He didn't really start speaking properly until just after he was 2.
    My mum said I was like this, and when she was pregnant with my sister she used to try to skip pages as she was so tired!

7. My boy is 19 months and likes to play with mega blocks, shape sorter, a fisher price garage (also a good place to find discarded apple cores), a ball and, quite randomly, hats (belinging to me or oh).
    At mums and tots / soft play he is always in those cosy coupe cars and the wendy house and loves tea sets.
    He is also a lover of books. He too likes those 100 words at home books- we do quizzes based on 'where's the apple / washing machine / doggy' and he likes to try to say the words. quite useful for translating the baby babbles! this was how i learned what he meant by 'pa'.

8. Another book obsessive here! Jill Murphy is one of the faves, as well as Nick Sharratt. 16 months as well - cars, boxes, duplo, playmobil (the stuff for babies) and soft toys at the mo. He's got one of those Tomy egg box things that he loves as well! I suppose puzzles and things like that will come a bit later. My LO also as taken a shine to 'drawing' and is pretty good at staying on the paper (and his face). He loves roaming up and down the street looking for dogs as well, but I think that's just him!

9. we have the egg box too! the eggs just get flung around the place and there's always one bit lurking under a sofa!

A friend bought lo a toy hoover yesterday and he loves it!

10. faves here are the happyland farm and playmobil zoo.