1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

toys for a 1 year old

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by bradley10, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Hi
    My little man is 9 1/2 months - I am getting nagged about what he wants for his birthday and Christmas! Seems seriously premature to me but was wondering if any of you had any toys/presents bought for your LO's that were/are good.
    Thanks

2. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

Hi Bradley, I posted a similar thread a while back due to v premature nagging and 2-week gap between LO's 1st birthday and Christmas! Suggestions were:
    • Garden toys for next summer
    • Clothes in bigger sizes, PJs etc
    • Books
    • Contribution to savings, child trust fund etc
    • Couse of swimming lessons/ annual pass to nearby attractions
    • Sandpit for later use
    • Musical instruments
    • Stroller if you need one
    • Puzzles, wooden toys eg shape sorter, character toys eg Waybuloo or whatever he likes
    • Bath toys
    Hope that helps. Also, Clarks do vouchers for first pair of shoes, v useful present and they take a photo which you could copy and send to the giver of the voucher.

3. that's a great list kitten, mittens.

4. Despite believing I would only buy wooden toys pre-baby we did in the end get some plastic as well. My son is 20 months now and the best things from his first birthday and christmas included some nice classic wooden toys from John Lewis like this stacking rings -http://www.johnlewis.com/230395013/Product.aspx
    We also got some 'HappyLand' stuff from early learning centre, it's not too tacky for plasic and solid and well designed. We got the Alien space house -
    http://www.elc.co.uk/HappyLand-Martian-Moon-House/125026,default,pd.html
    Which he and every visiting child under 10 has liked, at 12 months he just poked the buttons and turned the wheel, now he really pretends with the little aliens, walking them round the house and putting them to bed. Also all the HappyLand stuff goes together so since he has got the helicopter and other bits and all the people are the same size and swap.
    A ride-on is nice by 18 months if not sooner we LOVE this one -
    http://www.elc.co.uk/Blue-Didicar/124699,default,pd.html
    after it was recommended on here, you can get a cheaper version on amazon, but we got in on offer at ELC, check out youtube videos for people using 'Didicars' it takes adult weight and we all play on ours, OH loves riding together with LO (at terrifying speeds)
    If people have more expensive taste then Plan Toys do some gorgeous stuff through amazon. We only have the digger but they do a lot of stuff, some of i for babies.
    If you do look at early learning centre, sign up to the birthday club to get a discount voucher, they havce loads of offers on near Christmas too,

5. Mine too! The "That's Not My..." range is fantastic. She loves That's Not My Tiger and That's Not My Princess and just sits giggling when we read them.

Ikea do some cheap but in my experience durable wooden toys as well. Things that improve coordination are good. x

6. Thanks ladies - very helpful
    x