1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TOY STORY THEME NURSERY

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by hfbrook, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Hi i was wondering if anyone had any ideas for the toy story theme in nursery? struggling!

2. who's the theme for? It is worth really thinking about whether it is for you as pegs to hang your teaching on, but will it match the children's learning. You might be far better arranging organised groups of materials that allow simple role play, then obserbing what happens and taking your lead fro that, lloking for links an connections with expereinces you can add in. . What is toy story anyway? Is it the film of the same name? If so what has it got to do with the themes and activities currently observable in your group of children? YTou will struggle because it is a very cumbersome way to approach your nursery space. Check out the high-scope classrom organiation if you are uncertain of the areas necessary to allow children's motors to really engage in practical, concrete actions on materials, with enough space, time and resources to give informed adults more than enough themes to follow up on. Regards. yohana

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

I agree, never having seen the film!

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Yes, if you are really stuck for ideas why are you doing it anyway?

5. That sounds like a great theme Doodlem! I think the thing to remember about 'topics' is that they are a 'way in'. Topics should be very loose in Reception anyway and something like Toy Story is a good hook to catch children's interests initially and then follow where their interests lead.