1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Toxic Generation

Discussion in 'Personal' started by thekillers1, Jan 28, 2019.

1. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

As a 1980s kid, I’d love my childhood and had a mental teenage life with the Britpop period - anything was positively possible. Even teaching was better before 2010. After 2011, this happens...

2B917B23-86C2-4EF0-B060-76345FC033E9.jpeg

Sue Palmer, a former head teacher and literacy expert, has researched a whole range of problem areas, from poor diet, lack of exercise and sleep deprivation to a range of modern difficulties that are having a major effect: television, computer games, mobile phones. This combination of factors, added to the increasingly busy and stressed life of parents, means that we are developing a toxic generation. Maybe The Manics were more insightful with the term: Useless Generation...?

Schools? Exam factories? Yes we are! Speak to the state for their next moves on this issue.

2. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I certainly wouldn't want to be under 30 now. And for a 62 yr old, that's saying something.

bevdex likes this.
  3. MustaphaMondeo

MustaphaMondeo Occasional commenter

4. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'm reluctant to say a whole generation is toxic [anymore than I want to say all masculinity is toxic]

But I think there is a toxic environment that is infecting their lives. That they are victims of. The increasing levels of mental disorders [yes it could be down to openness and willingness to talk about it] would suggest they are reacting to the environment they are growing up in.

Catgirl1964, letap, bevdex and 6 others like this.
  6. MustaphaMondeo

MustaphaMondeo Occasional commenter

If there is anything toxic (and there isn't) about the current crop it is absolutely down to their parents and the society they grew up in.

Or you could blame their teachers?

monicabilongame likes this.
  7. Pageant

Pageant Occasional commenter

Sadly I blame my husband...........

I don't think you're asking here about the types of things that I have come across as an estranged and alienated parent but I truly think there is now an epidemic of entitled adult children who will cut off anyone that disagrees with them including their own parents.

Also, having kept an eye on the shenanigans of Alfie's Army (because I was the parent of such a child and was appalled at their treatment of Alder Hay staff) I despair at the attitude of the huge group of (I don't even know what to call them.... snowflakes?? Millenials ??) followers.

Now I'm going to get off my double height soapbox.......

bevdex, InkyP, Oscillatingass and 2 others like this.
  8. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I hadn't thought of it until you posted that, but I do know of several parents (mothers, actually) whose adult kids disowned them. Not for beatings, sexual abuse or neglect but because they'd felt opposed or let down by them. They'd not got their own way.

Pageant and (deleted member) like this.
  9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The son I tried to sell off here is under thirty and seems okay.

bevdex and thekillers1 like this.
  10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

All my children are independent now so I can't stop them doing what they want to do. I can disagree and argue against but that won't stop them.

Scintillant likes this.
  11. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

The more children that rebel and despise their parents, the less inclined couples will be to risk having more. Maybe there is a 'natural' population growth control in action?

border_walker likes this.
  12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yes... wealth.

Richer the country the lower the birth rate [usually]. Thank you capitalism. :D

13. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Well said. That entire episode, with its self-entitled, unintelligent, ungrateful, mob-rule behaviour, was very depressing.

bombaysapphire, Pageant and InkyP like this.
  14. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Well that’s one opinion. When I was growing up, some adults scoffed just as much about the younger generation, how they were more lazy, ignorant, gullible and unfortunate not to be like the older generation; and I’m sure their parents had the same view of them decades before.

Angst, inferiority complexes, bullying, inequality, bad schools, disfunctional families - the 21st century has no monopoly on that! Rose-tinted glasss are also a common factor across generations

Young people today are not fundamentally different from previous generations; yes of course they have faults but also virtues of being young and inexperienced, and not so different from what has gone before. Most young people I meet are fantastic, and I observe them with pride. They will probably roll their eyes at oldies worrying about click bait articles on the internet:rolleyes:

15. Pageant

Pageant Occasional commenter

@ colpee You are right, the vast majority of children and young adults today are lovely and they are respectful of everyone or at least, give every one a fair chance before they judge them.

Respect being an important word here.
    No longer are the police, doctors, teachers even ambulance personel respected for the good they do - who else would do their jobs if they didn't? Instead they are supposed to EARN the respect of children and those children grow into adults who in turn expect the world to owe them a living and that others should respect them regardless.

And then there are those who, granted, make up a small proportion of the population but have a vastly inflated voice and not for the good - Alfie's Army consists mainly of young women with young children and I cannot believe their blinkered vitriol and lack of common sense let alone believe how the whole thing became full of hysteria and wild conspiracy theories. My heart bleeds. They cannot surely be a good example to their own children.

It is those tiny minorities that make the make the most noise and gather followers in their wake that scare me.

16. cathr

cathr Occasional commenter

Did she forget Peppa Pig? This cartoon displays, in my mind, a shocking level of poor parenting. It is toxic: children are allowed to run riot, they do whatever they please and Mummy pig and Daddy pig pick up the pieces and always congratulate their children whatever mischief they have got up to. Banned program for my grandchildren in my house....

thekillers1 likes this.
  17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'm not sure we should dismiss the difficulties of younger people so easily.

My generation had free University education.
    I got to leave Uni with £4000 of debt.
    We didn't have social media pressure on us.
    It was easier to get on the housing ladder.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm sure part of this is media companies hyping up their sites. But there are challenges previous generations didn't face. [and challenges previous generations faced that this one doesn't have to worry about]

thekillers1, InkyP and bevdex like this.
  18. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

Inscription (apparently) from an Egyptian tomb:
    The young are idle and feckless and will surely bring about the ruin of the world as we know it.

Quotation from modern youth;
    When I was 17, I thought my parents knew nothing: by the time I was 23, I was amazed at how much they'd picked up. :rolleyes:

19. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

Lan is right though, it was far easier for my generation - no tuition, mortgages that were no more than 2.5 times your annual salary. I'm not sure how my 32 year old is going to get on the housing ladder without a generous injection of cash from his father and I.

thekillers1 likes this.
  20. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

93F37190-A4C9-4DAF-B952-9E62311EEADB.png

bevdex and cathr like this.