1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Tourist Chinese visa

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by laurahlr, Jun 19, 2018.

  1. laurahlr

    laurahlr New commenter

    Good morning!

    My application for the work visa is taking ages so my school asked me to do a 60 to 90 days tourist visa instead. I live in the North of England, but I am French. Does it mean that I need to apply for a tourist visa in England or France? It might sound like a weird question but I spend the last few months getting my work visa sorted and I am now confused about everything related to visas. Also, I already had to go to France twice to have my French diplomas certified so I am hoping that I could get everything done here in England, even if it means driving to London...

    Thank you!
  2. tianjinjustice

    tianjinjustice New commenter

  3. Teachallover

    Teachallover Occasional commenter

    You can apply for a tourist visa for China in any visa centre regardless of your nationality. Four years ago I got a late job offer (mid June) but we did manage to squeeze in a work visa release for late July. The school did say if the worst comes to the worst we’ll get you over on a tourist visa and the easiest thing to do is hop over the boarder to Hong Kong to apply for it. Not something anyone would ideally recommend but it does happen...if a school need you they need you. Remember the Z work visa can only be applied for OUT of mainland China.
  4. Fer888

    Fer888 Occasional commenter

    It can happen - we had to do it last year because of the major delays due to the work visa rules changing but it generally happens only in exceptional circumstances. As Tianjin justice says legally you are not allowed to work on a tourist visa so it does ring warning bells. If the school is well established it probably is not a problem but I would get confirmation from them that they will be sorting out your residence visa and work permit as soon as you get here
    englishdragon likes this.
  5. binaryhex

    binaryhex Lead commenter

    Big risk. If you get caught, you are the one in trouble .....
    englishdragon likes this.
  6. englishdragon

    englishdragon Occasional commenter

    @laurahlr as binaryhex and tianjinjustice point out, this is not a good approach. It raises very serious questions about the management competency of the school (assuming you have held up your side with prompt delivery of all the required documentation, validated and authenticated).

    The most serious - but perhaps infrequent - outcome is that you are caught, and will find yourself on a flight home within 24 hours. At your own cost. It is probable that the school will do nothing, and in reality, there is little the school can do when these laws are broken in this way. In the longterm, you will have established your own personal records with the Bureau of Foreign Experts, and the Exit and Entry Administration, that will make it very difficult to return to China for any future teaching job.
  7. laurahlr

    laurahlr New commenter

    Thank you for your reply! I didn't realise it was illegal, good thing you told me, otherwise I would have told the truth at the embassy :( Now I am a bit confused on what to do, as they really want me to go at the same time than everybody.
    The problem is that I still haven't received my DBS check for my work visa.
    The other problem is that even if I asked for a tourist visa, they want us to have a return ticket, which is something I don't have , as I was meant to stay in the country!
    I contacted the school and they just asked me to do the tourist visa still (it's a good school btw).
  8. englishdragon

    englishdragon Occasional commenter

  9. Teachallover

    Teachallover Occasional commenter

    A DBS will be rejected by the FCO anyway. You should get an ACRO police certificate which bears a signature. This is much quicker too.
    Working on a tourist visa is illegal. The reason why schools do it, however, is because of the lengthy process in applying clashing with school term starting dates where parents are expecting to meet their child’s new teacher.
    I have worked in reputable (if there is such a thing) schools in China where staff are taken on mid-year etc without the work permit to cover unexpected absence. Illegal, ill advised but it still happens.
  10. laurahlr

    laurahlr New commenter

    Thank you for everything! Problem sorted, I will go on a business visa! And thank you for telling me that my DBS would not work Teachallobver, I didn't know that, it was the only document i was pending!
    Teachallover likes this.
  11. dandad3

    dandad3 New commenter

    Can I ask if you will be going to a School in Shannnghai too?
    My School is overly keen on giving me a tourist visa and decided to delay the process (not asking me for paperwork) for a long period and now the only chance I have left is to go on a tourist visa to make it there on time before School starts.
  12. wrldtrvlr123

    wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

    Definitely be cautious. Maybe everything else with the school is just fine but (in general) schools in China that do not act responsibly regarding visas often cut corners/are dodgy in other vital areas.
    blueskydreaming likes this.
  13. february31st

    february31st Established commenter

    It is possible to covert a tourist visa into a work visa in Shanghai, but it is a short cut. As soon as you arrive you should hand over all documents full notarized/legalized to HR and you should do the official medical. It should be then possible to see the receipt of the visa application that has you picture on and the type of visa your are applying for.

    The second route is to be packed off on a plane to Hong Kong to re-enter on a Z visa, but check who gets to pay for the ticket, visa and accommodation in HK.

    But DEFINATELY do not start working on a tourist visa, this leaves yourself open to arrest and deportation!
    dandad3 likes this.
  14. dandad3

    dandad3 New commenter

    It is very strange looking at the tourist visa. The tourist visa being granted to British at the moment is 2years with multiple entries. Leaving employers to use the loophole to not employ properly.
    Thanks for the info on the shortcut. I was back in CH a month ago. Does it help if the work permit was already applied for then in China about a month ago?
    The contact number for the Shanghai work permit granting agency would be helpful.

Share This Page