I feel very nervous asking about this - not sure I should even be considering it, feel guilty and I've seen that some people on here asking about similar things recently have had bad reactions. But here goes! (Will just point out in my defence that I'm only wondering about this, not going ahead already, I know it's probably a bad idea, just seeing if I can get some advice). I started a job just after Christmas. My first teaching job and permanent contract. I know this makes me VERY lucky. So I'm unappreciative and I don't mean to upset anyone still searching. I found the job hunt depressing and I'm happy to be teaching at all. This week just by chance I saw an advert for a teaching position at a school which I was actually interviewed by before being offered my job. Permanent position starting in September. The head told me that I was their 2nd choice at the interview before and said he would "consider me in the future". That was pretty much my dream school in terms of ethos, curriculum, standards, atmosphere, staff, location... There is nothing exactly wrong with my current school. Also I've only been there a few weeks! Hardly any time at all. In many ways they have been supportive and I really appreciate the help my NQT mentor gives me. However, I'm finding it hard to settle in. I'm not working in the key stage I prefer. It's already been made clear to me that movement between year groups is very rare there and favour is always given to longer-serving members of staff (it's a small primary school and most of the staff have been there 5 years or more and don't want to change year group). There seem to be a lot of underlying problems in the school, which are not discussed openly, but I know SLT are panicking about LA inspections and a pending Ofsted inspection. The message to all staff is to just get the basics done and worry about creativity and new ideas later on. The head is leaving at Easter and we haven't met her replacement yet. To get to my point finally (sorry!)... I'm starting to vaguely consider applying for this other job. I know a lot of people, especially going by recent posts as I said, will be horrified. The general consensus will likely be that I should be happy to have a job and should get on with it. The school are obviously expecting me to stay for some time as it's a permanent contract and most staff have been there for years. They have put extra money and time into my NQT induction and will undoubtedly be annoyed if it turns out not to be a longer term investment. As I said, I really appreciate my mentor and feel guilty even thinking about this. On the other hand...I just LOVED that other school and I'm almost certain (as certain as I can be without being psychic!) that given the chance I could develop my skills better there and enjoy my career more. I could tell from my time there (visits, interview day and a day of supply) that the atmosphere is totally different - creative, inspiring, friendly, supportive, strong values, open forum for ideas and discussion. It is Ofsted outstanding. The job is for my preferred key stage. I know from comparing with a friend that their LA NQT programme is of much better quality than mine (which seems to be having real issues). Another minor point, it is MUCH closer to home. Now, getting to the real questions: Should I even be considering this? My school will be expecting me to stay for AT LEAST a year, so wanting to leave after only 2 terms (January to summer) seems very rude. I may turn out to be wrong about some things I'm worried about there now. Then again, just because of the difficult job climate, do I have to keep putting my own happiness and professional development second to the needs of my employer? Is it likely that the head was just being polite when he said I was his 2nd choice and would "consider me in the future"? IF (and I mean IF) I decide to apply, would it be a good or ridiculous idea to contact him first to remind him who I am and ask if it's worth me applying? Would the head of this other school think negatively about me wanting to apply so soon into a new permanent contract and part-way through my induction year? Or would he likely understand that it's because of how I feel about his school?