1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Totally Unrelated to Teaching OS But I'm Desperate So No Apologies.

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by yasimum, Apr 21, 2011.

1. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Someone on here always knows the answer to everything so here we go. I have just returned from a cruise to some absolutely stunning places that I have never seen before. Don't ask how the hell I did it, but I have deleted all of my photos! I have tried two online programmes that have cost $60 between them and they only recovered older photos on the card but not the recent ones. Can anyone help please?

2. Principal-Skinner

Principal-Skinner Occasional commenter

goggle 'recuva' and download the relevant programme. It's free. Do a 'deep scan'. However, it is ideally done with a separate harddrive to recover files on. The more you do since you deleted the files the higher chance you will overwrite them on the hard drive.

3. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

I have tried Recuva but don't know if I did a 'deep scan' will go and try that one again. (Tried all the freebies first before I shelled out the bucks!) Thanks.

4. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

If the worst happens and you cannot undelete the pics, you will have to go on the cruise again, if you are busy I will go for you.

5. You are not funny, witty or clever. [​IMG]

6. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

Shhhh, don't tell Yassie that, I may get a free holiday.

7. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Sorry about this Yasimum. I hope you get it sorted. I wish I'd known about the recovery programmes when something similar happened to me a few years ago.
    I wouldn't take up Bibbler's offer if I were you. What would you do with all those photos of 'interesting' string and other people in anoraks? And he'd be too busy 'reporting' the crew to do much photography.

8. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Hi Yasimum,
    There are a couple of things you need to do to make sure you get as many of your pics back as possible.
    1. DO NOT USE THE CARD!!!
    This is very important. The more the card is used the more likely it is that your deleted pictures are being written over.
    2. Try using pc or mac based recovery software rather than online stuff. I presume your card was around 4 gig. A deep trawl should be able to recover things if the memory card is not physically damaged.
    When deleting things from the card, the pictures are not actually wiped. What is wiped is the information telling the computer where everything is. Recovery software essentially recatalogues all the information thus allowing your computer to locate it once again.
    If neither of these things work then I can offer to try and recover the data for you. I have done this quite a few times and it is not onerous, just time consuming. If you are willing to go down this route, then send me a PM. Naturally you may not want a stranger to look at what may very well be private pics, so there will be no offence taken if you say no.

9. Karvol's kind offer sounds like a pretty good deal there Yasi [​IMG]

10. I completely sympathise, having lost all the photos from several trips (and lots of other important stuff) when my external hard drive died and my laptop were stolen in fairly quick succession. I had bought the external hard drive believing it was safe storage. Sometimes you just learn the hard way. [​IMG]
    I hope you get your pics back.

11. ceviche

ceviche New commenter

It's also a good idea to keep everything on some reliable webserver. They have backups of their own, so the likelihood of things getting lost is slim. I have my own web server but you can do it for free too, e.g. Flickr (you can make everything private).

12. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Thank you so much everyone for your sympathy and advice.
    Update:
    1) Tried Recuva deep search. It brought up every gif, photo and heading that has ever been on my computer but not the photos I want.
    2) They weren't actually stored on my computer. I had just arrived home and was transferring them to my computer with my camera connected to my computer via USB. As I opened the removable drive for my camera, I noticed it was very full so decided to clean it out. Stupidly, I thought to myself that I could delete everything up to Wednesday's date, not thinking that we had actually been away for ten days!! Totally my fault.
    3) Karvol, what a very kind offer. I do appreciate it and will PM you about it but as the photos were on my card in my camera it will be tricky I should imagine for anyone to help unless you are living down the street. Then again, I don't understand how it all works so fingers crossed.
    4) Robby, I will indeed contact the company you suggested if all else fails. Pretty much everything is shut down for the next week as we have Easter and then ANZAC Day. Thanks for finding that for me.
    You know, at the risk of sounding corny, it really makes me feel encouraged that people try to help. Sometimes I wonder what the world is coming to but then my faith is restored, Cheers all!

13. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Principal Skinner, I tried Recuva again but just scanning the memory card in deep scan mode rather than the whole computer and it found most of them! Thanks again all, at least I have some of them back.

14. Happy to see you got your pics.
    Had a quick look, the cruise looked great fun and the scenery is stunning - hope you enjoy the memories for many years.
    Regards,
    Robby

15. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Bravo!

16. Aw. This thread has made me feel all fuzzy. Glad you found the photos!!

17. Probably as in a 'warm fuzzy'.

18. fuzz·yadjective /?f?z?/ 
    fuzzier, comparative; fuzziest, superlative
    1.Having a frizzy, fluffy, or frayed texture or appearance
    - a girl with fuzzy dark hair

2.Difficult to perceive clearly or understand and explain precisely; indistinct or vague
    - the picture is very fuzzy
    - that fuzzy line between right and wrong

3.(of a person or the mind) Unable to think clearly; confused
    - my mind felt fuzzy

4.Of or relating to a form of set theory and logic in which predicates may have degrees of applicability, rather than simply being true or false. It has important uses in artificial intelligence and the design of control systems
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't see how this thread could cause someone to turn into a girl with fuzzy dark hair [​IMG] (which reminds me of my ex-wife even though she had a blonde head)

[​IMG]