1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Totally devastated job hunt :(

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by SBW2009, May 3, 2012.

1. SBW2009

SBW2009 New commenter

Just a rant alter!
    Wanting and needing to move back home asap! Not many jobs in SW Wales but 2 came up this year. I applied got an interview for one last week but internal got it. Second job was much more up my street and it closed on monday. Got back from a terrible day at school to a letter from them - brilliant! Nope, my first ever rejection letter. Can't believe it - spent 4 days on the letter, really thought i matched everything and have even held the position in my current school, visited the school etc.
    Totally devastated as now I'm stuck in a school i hate for another year. I've moved too much (one by choice, one not) and feel that this has held me back. I know i'm so lucky to have a job.
    Just can't believe I didn't get an interview. I followed all the guidence so carefully (Theo's and the schools) but it wasn't meant to be.
    What makes it worse is my line manager will love it - he just wants to make my life a misery and will be so happy he can do it for another year.
    Thanks for reading - don't expect replies just so fed up ;(

2. SBW2009

SBW2009 New commenter

Just a rant alter!
    Wanting and needing to move back home asap! Not many jobs in SW Wales but 2 came up this year. I applied got an interview for one last week but internal got it. Second job was much more up my street and it closed on monday. Got back from a terrible day at school to a letter from them - brilliant! Nope, my first ever rejection letter. Can't believe it - spent 4 days on the letter, really thought i matched everything and have even held the position in my current school, visited the school etc.
    Totally devastated as now I'm stuck in a school i hate for another year. I've moved too much (one by choice, one not) and feel that this has held me back. I know i'm so lucky to have a job.
    Just can't believe I didn't get an interview. I followed all the guidence so carefully (Theo's and the schools) but it wasn't meant to be.
    What makes it worse is my line manager will love it - he just wants to make my life a misery and will be so happy he can do it for another year.
    Thanks for reading - don't expect replies just so fed up ;(

3. leftieM

leftieM New commenter

It's horrible to be desperate to move. hang in there and keep the wage coming in. You'll get something.
    I'm going to jump in with a moan too. I came into teaching late, at 38, and I've been subbing on and off for two years. I've had 10 interviews, with only 2 jobs out of it, both temp contracts. I had interviews on Tuesday and Wednesday and got neither. I'm so fed up. I really thought I did well, although I knew in my heart that neither job was suitable as they are both more than an hour's drive from home and it would be a massive drain on my time and money to commute that far. In the second interview they wanted someone who could take games on a Saturday. I had to say that I couldn't - that would be the shortest route to the divorce court!
    I hate the highs and lows of the job searching process. It's hard to get feedback too - it's extra work for them so they don't bother. So I don't know if I come across as rubbish or I'm just not quite what they are looking for. There are so few jobs advertised too - a handful each year and heaps of us chasing scraps of work. The teacher training colleges keep churning us out, just to land on the dole. It's wrong. often the job is written for someone and they are using us to keep on the right side of equal opportunities legislation (NI). It's a farce.
    I'm going to be out of work sometime this month as the teacher I'm currently covering for is coming back soon. One of the VPs has told me I'm outstanding in every area, the pupils love me and the staff are fantastic and supportive. I'll so miss it. I don't feel like a sub at all.

4. SBW2009

SBW2009 New commenter

Thank you
    Its so difficult as i have a second job to make ends meat anyway and it just gets me down
    Sorry to hear your situation - hugs xxx

5. leftieM

leftieM New commenter

Same to you.
    Keep the faith. It won't always be this bad. You'll be out of your job soon, it'll just take time and patience.