1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Totally demoralised after lesson observation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by GyrFalcon, Mar 29, 2012.

1. AlwaysAdaptable

AlwaysAdaptable New commenter

Even when the kids in my class got down to the work and produced good work and made progress, I was told they where passive learners. I know it is not personal, unfortunately it is the culture in schools these days.

2. Belthazor

Belthazor New commenter

And back to the "all singing, all dancing" criteria.

3. Isn't that our responsibility as teachers? To make sure that we have differentiated it well enough for them to make progress albeit possibly in smaller steps.
    Having just been through an Ofsted under the new framework, I agree 100% that they want to see progress in lessons but would wholeheartedly disagree that this is easier in top sets to demonstrate.

4. I work in an FE college and feel particularly demoralised in my job as I've been teaching about 9 years and for the first few years I got goods from my managers. Then just over a year ago I got an unsatisfactory grade followed by a 'Good' from Ofsted and then followed by 2 more unsatisfactory grades!
    I don't know how to get off the unsatisfactory. I keep trying to do all singing all dancing lessons which get unsatisfactory. Whats more the students all prefer to use worksheets rather than fancy IT stuff!

5. alsoamum

alsoamum New commenter

I have always been graded good with outstanding features up until our recent ofsted, where I was graded good with one small satisfactory element. Therefore, I was actually graded satisfactory. [​IMG]
    This week we have been told that under the new teaching standards observations which are graded as satifactory will lead to incompetency procedures. We have been told that anything less than good is unnacceptable.
    I really wish I could hand my notice in. I love doing my job and the children in my class are happy and learning but I don't ever think I will ever be able to consistently jump through the various and ever multiplying hoops, because quite simply nothing is ever good enough. I am dreading the future, why would anyone want to be a teacher with all this hanging over their head? Why would anyone want to put themselves through it?
    If there was anything else I could do which would pay me a similar wage for similar hours I would be handing my notice in tomorrow, gladly. What on earth do I do? Is this the message everyone is getting at the moment?

6. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I was thinking the very same thing tonight. What other career can I do. I have done other jobs in the past but they're nowhere as well paid and we're pretty stretched now as it is. I too feel that it's going to get harder and we're in Wales which has been relatively less affected by increasing paperwork and the like.
    I do love the kids and my colleagues but our leader is making everything very... irritating at the moment.

7. bonnie1

bonnie1 Senior commenter

This thread really does make depressing reading.

8. Belthazor

Belthazor New commenter

Well you are either:
    1.) An NQT who thinks that it is possible to help EVERY single pupils progress no matter what.
    2.) One of those teachers who also remarks that certain badly-behaved pupils NEVER give you any problems during lesson.
    3.) Someone who DOESN'T teach a bottom set with pupils who refuse to do any work whatsoever, pupils who never bring a pen to school, or have several EAL pupils - all with a different native language.

9. Ha ha!
    Erm, no. I fit none of the above.
    I know it is <u>possible</u> for every pupil to make the expect progress for themselves (ie 2 whole levels) and this has been the case in my school for the last few years. The provision has to be suitable, differentiated to their specific ability.
    I have worked with many challenging children who have presented barriers with the baggage that they have in their lives.
    We don't set for lessons, meaning I routinely cater for high level 2 to level 5 (and level 6 in Maths) within one class. All of these children, including the lower ability [​IMG], are due to make their 2 whole levels progress across KS2 at least - many are on for accelerated progress.
    I know this post comes across as arrogant but it is possible for children to make progress regardless of their starting ability. (I am referring to all mainstream children here - I know there are specific SEN which pose a far greater barrier to progress in special schools).

10. janisbondin

janisbondin New commenter