1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Totally demoralised after lesson observation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by GyrFalcon, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Thats all true but unfortunately is NOT the attitude that prevails in reality in the school, at least not in my experience.

2. AlwaysAdaptable

AlwaysAdaptable New commenter

Thanks. I thought of doing CELTA. Looked at a few colleges. Musuem jobs appeal a great deal but I know the competition is heavy.

3. You should not give a s*** what ofsted say. You need to think about those kids who sit in front of you everyday. Are they happy? Progressing? Do they come in calm and ready to work most days? Do you do the best you can to meet their, no doub,t diverse needs and peculiarities? If the answer to all of the above is YES then you are outstanding. They are what matters. Just remember most of those people are teachers who couldn't hack it and so out of touch with what a child actually is that their bald judgements based on one abnormal lesson are not to be considered. I did have a very sweet ofsted lady who was complimentary and willing to be impressed but she had only been out of class a year so still had a clue. Use your own judgement. What does outstanding actually mean. It is all very subjective. Since when is satisfactory, not satisfactory? The way it is used in inspection terms is that it means something terrible. But actually satisfactory means it is precisely that. Satisfactory is actually fine. That is the way to look at it. Now if you get unsatisfactory then you should be addressing your teaching difficulties and possibly putting a bit more effort in. Be proud to be satisfactory. Would you expect anything more from other things in life? What would an outstanding trip to the bank entail compared to a satisfactory one? What about the doctor? Is he outstanding just for diagnosing your chickenpox and if so what would be satisfactory? It is all nonsense, have courage and believe in yourself.

4. Well over five OFSTEDs I've had judgements from satisfactory to outstanding and that's how I would judge my teaching. Some lessons go brilliantly and others not so much so. Some I would be pleased to be observed delivering and others that I am glad that it is me on my own with the children. I refuse to be hung up on one lesson alone. In my early days of teaching no one ever watched me teach. The Head decided I was doing a good job from how I got on with the children, other members of staff and the fact that parents weren't complaining. I took it very badly when this constant observation became the norm. I hopefully have just had my last observation during the week before the Easter holidays. I retire in the Summer and it was just to complete the terms requirements.My current Head has always been pleased with my teaching. I haven't even had the feed back yet, but I'm pleased to say that I couldn't care less what it is for once.

5. AlwaysAdaptable

AlwaysAdaptable New commenter

Good luck to you. Unfortunately for some of us there is no break from relentless subjective tick box observations. Do they ever think about the children?.

6. Belthazor

Belthazor New commenter

Funnily enough a huge number of teachers up and down the country also seem to be getting worse. Seems to coincide with an increase in lesson observations from SMT who are worried about impeding OFSTED visits.

7. greenpaddy

greenpaddy New commenter

I am one of those increasing numbers. Had Ofsted and according to SLT I - not the lesson got graded satisfactory. This observation is being used as evidence in moving payscales.

8. I agree! I think we focus too much on a judgement and forget about the professional conversation teachers enjoy and seek out on forums such as this. A focussed discussion on strengths to share and areas to develop must be more useful. I suggested this to my HT (as member of SLT) but the response was..."I think teachers would want to know their grade" and to be fair, they did and to some extend I do. And of course we are asked to "rate" every teacher.....

9. greenpaddy

greenpaddy New commenter

No I do not work in an academy! Just a school with bad managers!

10. Nice :)

11. It is, but is preferable to 'adequate', I feel.

12. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

In my current school we don't get a grade after an observation. Instead, we get What Went Wells and Even Better Ifs in a ratio of 3:1.
    Mind you, my last observation was done in the last week of September last year in a DT lesson. I could have been doing goodness knows what in my Literacy and Numeracy for the last nine months and no-one would know.
    I'd almost welcome termly observations in core subjects followed by a grading. At least I'd know if I was doing okay.

13. Like this. MAybe this should be my response too. After 20 yrs of teaching and having been held up as an exemplar of good practise am now on a teacher support programme as several recent observations have been satisfactory- with a few goods in there too. I am working harder than ever but still can't get to a consistent good.
    M

14. Belthazor

Belthazor New commenter

Really? How did you word it? I would have worded it along the lines of "can I observe you so that I can pick up handy hints", or "learn good practise".
    The SMT who observe you expect you to deliver excellent lessons ALL the time, and bang on about differentiation, BfL, progress etc. Interesting when you observe them and they literally can't practise what they preach.

15. Belthazor

Belthazor New commenter

practice*

16. Belthazor

Belthazor New commenter

This is a really good idea - shame more schools can't model this. This is how we're suppose to mark books in order to help pupils move forward, so why can't the same theory be applied to "grading" teachers?

17. Belthazor

Belthazor New commenter

In a similar position (but without as much experience as you). I'm sure it would be easier if I actually taught some top sets.

18. Why would that be easier?

19. Belthazor

Belthazor New commenter

This, sadly, does not surprise me.
    (This attitude being adopted by a lot of schools, nothing about you personally!)

20. Belthazor

Belthazor New commenter

Because a lot of the observation/OFSTED criteria is all about progress. Easier when (in general, not ALL the time) the top sets contain the kids who WANT to do the work, and are actually able to do the work.