1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Totally demoralised after lesson observation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by GyrFalcon, Mar 29, 2012.

1. I had a satisfactory obs recently and the DH came in to 'show' me how to do it properly. My TA and I could hardly keep from laughing it was so awful.

2. pyg2009

pyg2009 New commenter

We had Ofsted in a few weeks back and I have to say that I think the whole system is a joke! I have come from a business background and only came into teaching a few years ago...this was my first time going through the process. Anyway after much waffle from the inspector at the beginning regarding here to see learning etc. I had 2 15 min obs over the course of the two days. Both of my lessons were rated 'good', which was great! However other than commenting on strong subject knowledge and marking, no comments were made on the learning that did or did not take place in my classroom...he was also unable to give me anything constructive regarding how to take my teaching to the next level! Just left me thinking what an absolute farce! On looking at his previous Ofsted reports, it was clear to me that he had his own agendas...and shock horror, he made the same comments about our school! Copy and paste job I thought! Anyway...just wanted to say that all this hoop jumping is ridiculous! I fail to see how sensible decisions about teachers can be made in 15 mins! Grrrrrrrrr...can you feel the fury off the screen?

3. beethan31

beethan31 New commenter

I've had 3 observations this since Sept. The first 2 were 'good' with several 'outstanding' features, and the last was 'satisfactory' (with 'many good elements'). My Head said she was using the new OFSTED framework on the last one, and quite frankly I think it's ****. I reckon all 3 of my obs were similar so must all even out as 'good' overall. Needless to say I was annoyed with the 'satisfactory' as it sounds so naff, especially when l work so damn hard.
    My Head said that an inspector would have commented on the 2 children in my class that weren't engaged during my input. One was making a moustache with his pencil, apparently, and the other was blowing one of the paper things hanging down from the washing line over the classroom. I actually thought that if only 2 weren't engaged, then out of 28 that's not bad!! When it came to the task they knew what to do and got on with it, so I don't see what the problem was. How can you have ALL of your class engaged ALL of the time?? Life is not like that. We all have our staring into space moments. Doesn't mean to say we're not listening. If that's what you have to do to be outstanding, then it's impossible.
    What keeps me going is that the children in my class randomly throw their arms around me and say "you're the best teacher ever" and "I hope I've got you next year", and children in other classes say "I wish I was in your class Miss!" I know I am making a difference to the children in my school and am well liked by the parents. It just sucks that those damn grades mean so much as well.

4. greenpaddy

greenpaddy New commenter

My satisfactory observation ny dh was satisfactory teaching and good learning. Obviously I am surplus to requirement and children do not need me!

5. Not sure that makes any sense greepaddy!!! HOW can those two statements be the case?? They are contradictory!!

6. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

I have an observation after half-term and I was told that there is no longer a staisfactory- it's 'need to improve' absolutely hate the wording!

7. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

You have absolutely nailed it there. It's impossible. It can't be done, so don't break a bead of sweat trying.

8. All you need to think about is each and every day...
    do my children wake up most mornings and think "hurray, it's school today!" That's all you're there for.
    The rest is poppycock to keep inadequate teachers (ie OFSTED inspectors) out of the classroom doing damage to children's love of learning.
    [​IMG]

9. Please can you be the Minister for Education?!

10. Satisfactory, outstanding, good...it's very worrying throughout this thread how alcohol seems to be a common feature...cause, effect or no connection???

11. I've had many lesson observations in my 13 year career ranging from satisfactory to outstanding. I have no idea why one lesson was better than another, I think it came down to the observers impression if the lesson.

In my last Ofsted, in 2007, I got an outstanding. In my termly obs I used to get good and outstanding. Then a change of management came and the new criteria, since then I've only ever got satisfactory. It has demoralised me in the past but I know I'm a good teacher, I try to use observations as a tool to hone my skills; the overall judgement is not important to me - especially when it comes from someone who hasn't taught in a classroom for over 10 years .

I have a different observer now but we have gone down the root of a tick list of criteria,sometimes it's impossible to have everything in a lesson. As long as the children in my class make progress, become more independent learners and thinkers ;then I'm happy.

12. Hi Iwas observed a month ago and was rated as good with many outstanding features:
    Outstanding scaffolding of questioning.
    Excellent knowledge of students.
    Excellent prior teaching relating to previos knowledge.
    Volume of work in books was excellent.
    However,
    too much questioning by myself- suggestion for peer assessment/questioning task instead of Q&A interaction between Teacher and Student. Most activities must be student led and not teacher led.
    Also found that in some books, students had fewer comments than others when books were marked. I did not know that all books had to have the same number of comments! Lol!
    Teacher is only a facilitator and students must learn by discovery.
    Hence my good!
    My colleague got outstanding in my department because he let the students do almost all of the activities. And that is the vital aspect of the new OFSTED regime.
    Hope this is of help.

13. I am in the same situation - in 10 years teaching I have never been anything other than good but on a 'paid for inspection' I got satisfactory - I was devastated. one hour lesson with a very challenging class - session plan showed the use of IT in the second half once they were settled down and engaged with the learning. Got told it was too tutor led and I should have had activities going on from the start - this particular group would have been coming off the wall if that is how I started - I could hve changed how I do things with this group but apparently you should just do what you do!!!!!!!! Damned if I do - Damned if I don't.

14. AlwaysAdaptable

AlwaysAdaptable New commenter

I know how you feel. In my case after 11 years I am finding that all I ever get is 'satisfactory'. Perhaps I am too old and too expensive.

15. Yes I agree. Having recently graduated on NPQH I believe this even more. It's a great pity that not all our governors, heads, SMTs and inspectors feel that way. It is a great pity that politics and minutia get in the way. If children love learning, we are (or should be) most of the way there. The new Ofsted approach is supposed to allow more time with teachers, so that SHOULD mean that they explain how we can improve too. If they are not doing this, might I be so bold as to suggest that they are doing us all a disservice?

16. Oh, you don't know how good reading all of these comments is making me feel!. I have taught for 15+ years and have almost always got "good with lots of areas of outstanding" types of grades. Then last term I was observed by my HoD who graded me as "unsatisfactory" and arranged for me to have support from a teacher from a different institution who had been teaching for half the time that I have. As some of you have said, it depends on who observes you, when they observe you, the "new OFSTED criteria", and the lesson that you happen to be taking at the time. I love letting people discover things, but there are also some topics where the teacher needs a bit of input and to put a framework in place before there can be any meaningful discovery taking place.
    This whole thing really got me down, and - like some of you - I wanted to quit. Now I just shrug my shoulders and say that what I did was fine last year, and the year before, and I feel comfortable still doing it. If management and OFSTED don't like it, then I guess they will just have to sack me. Now, where did I put that bottle of wine (or should that be whine)?

17. We also had a paid inspection who also said that my lesson was satisfactory and too much teacher talk, guess what they got in their GCSE's 8 A*s 17 A's and 1 B and I had them for the whole 5 years not bad for a satisfactory teacher!!!!

18. I feel the same - after 24 years - then there are youngsters walking in and they get it - miricle kids - But where and how? I feel like finding myself another job - I love working with children and teaching them, but it seems impossible to please anyone - nevermind some of them some of the time - and I'm not crawling before people anymore - I know I'm good, children learn and move up and on in leaps - so I think I've given up too - looking for alternatives to teaching......... with less paper work, burocracy and stupid behaviour from people with a superiority complex! [​IMG]

19. Wonderful! x

20. Wow, we'll done!

I've observed and been observed with the new criteria. The only thing I like is that it takes the "....I like" or "I think" out of it. Well, in theory anyway..........On our last round of observations one teacher was told she couldn't have an outstanding for a group reading lesson. I was told I couldn't have an outstanding because the input was too long. I work in a BESD school where, according to the observer were engaged, interested, learning, achieving. Don't understand that one. She also fell asleep during the lesson so surely it can't have been that good?!?!? When asked how to progress and make it outstanding she could only say to make the input shorter. Pupils were, as the criteria asks, involved in their learning by putting forward their ideas to suggest their own science experiment. A different teacher observed by the same person got an outstanding with 3 pupils and one TA. her behaviour management was highlighted as outstanding, not her teaching. Can't work that out either.

I feel unless observed by someone you respect and value as a colleague it is a waste of time.