1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Totally demoralised after lesson observation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by GyrFalcon, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Does anyone else feel like they'll never be outstanding (or is that 'good' now) no matter what they do or how hard they work. I'm seemingly going backwards after 10 years of teaching. The new Ofsted framework just seems like another stick to beat us all with. I honestly give up.
    Sorry for moaning - just had a bad day [​IMG]

2. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Never mind, Your pay cheque will be just the same whether you are outstanding or not. And the Easter Bunny will still visit you.

3. You're right - pride is a deadly sin. Might as well go for gluttony at the same time then...do you think my son would notice if a cracked open one of his eggs now?!

4. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

only true for the moment unfortunately, lardy. Future career can be affected by being held back or demoralised by LOs carried out with that end in mind...
    would that be one of the pink ones I see dancing out my walls and carpet whenever I haven't had a Stella for a while....?

for a view of LOs see here

5. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

I know how you feel :-(. My boss came in to see me on Monday, turned up at the wrong time, went away again, I dragged it out so they could see what wanted to, and was told it was unsatisfactory. And I wasn't supposed to be working that day. :-( seems I can do nothing right now. Keeping my eyes out for another job and trying not to stress about references.

6. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I was given a satisfactory at the beginning of term, so have another observation on Monday. Should that lesson also be deemed satisfactory, I'm going to ask the HT (who hasn't taught for about 10 years) to show me how to be outstanding by teaching my class and letting me observe him.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I had never ever had anything less than good in my first 15 years of teaching. Then this year got three satisfactories in a row in the autumn...I know how you feel. I posted a similar thread at the time and got loads of good advice and support, I know you will as well.

It is naff and frustrating but it is Friday and almost 6pm so have a large G&T and then another and the world will feel brighter.

Did they say why they thought it wasn't outstanding?

8. Go for it LL......... I've had the same thought myself!
    Perhaps we should ask our dear ofsted inspectors to do the same. After all, as they clearly know all about how to be outstanding it should be a breeze for them.
    This is the way forward!

9. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I've never been blase about observations, and have always had a healthy dose of 'nerves' beforehand, but now because there seems to be such a huge list of things to squeeze into every lesson just to make it passable, I'm in danger of going into panic mode in case I forget one of them [​IMG]

10. I really sympathise with you, I've been jumping through several hoops and spinning plates at the same time to try and get a good in my obs this week only to get a satisfactory because the HT says my marking is too celebratory and not challenging the children enough. Argh. Seems like they each time I think I've got it they move the goalposts, hmph, think I would like some celebratory marking myself.

11. I was just about to start a thread about this!
    I feel exactly the same - got satisfactory in my obs today. Again.
    So fed up and demoralised I just want to quit.

12. I'm KS1 Coord and only got a Satisfactory recently when my other KS1 collegues both got a Good, which made me feel rather rubbish.
    That said, I have the more challenging and larger Y2 class and an inexperienced TA - one of my colleagues split her class for the Obs so only had half, and the other only has 18 very meek Y1 children and a very experienced TA.
    I was marked down from a "good" because for the first 2 minutes my TA did nothing. I ASKED her to support a certain child with ADHD/ASD but as it happens that child didn't need support and my TA wasn't confident/experienced enough to know you have to 'play the game' and start whispering in another child's ear instead.
    I felt sh*te for a while, knowing I am the Key stage coordinator and am supposedly a worse teacher than they are, but am trying not to let it get me down.It doesn't help that I know one of my colleagues really wanted my role and is quite arrogant so obviously sees himself as more able than me now our recent observation has made that clear. Grrr.
    I am trying not to let it get to me and enjoying a few glasses of wine safe in the knowledge that I am working my hardest, still getting my pay cheque, and now have two weeks off to relax.
    Observations are flipping ridiculous.

13. hmm, wine, the great healer, I'm going down that route too. I think the term satisfactory is so demoralising, can't we have meeting expectations, good could be exceeding expectations, outstanding could be bloody amazing?

14. greenpaddy

greenpaddy New commenter

At least I am not alone. Been told today in pm mid year review unlikely to get UPS3 next year as had 2 satisfactory observations - one was with Ofsted a month ago, inspector did not tell me it was only satisfactory. Nothing in his feedback suggested it. And management only tell me today!

15. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

what is this trend for end of term observations
    I was observed on my last maths lesson of the term, my coteacher the following day on hers with the same class.
    Both of us got marked down on behaviour. perhaps it might have something to do with the children in the class?
    must admit my supply day on thursday seemed a real relaxation in comparison!

16. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Do you know I think you might be on to something here...children often *** up my observations. I teach outstandingly, but they just fail to flippin well learn it! Honestly, if the children weren't there I reckon I'd be up for an award...!

17. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

heh heh, minnieminx, you always make me smile! I was marked down on behaviour too - they were bored (I readily admit I was stringing it out - apparently the boss needed to observe me teaching a particular subject, and she'd given me about 20 mins notice, popped in before we'd started, and didn't come back til after play when it should have been all over, but I carried it on so that she could see the subject being taught....grrrr!) - and suffering the effects of the clocks changing.
    Hey ho. Can't win 'em all, I suppose, and I know from the fact that children learn in my classes, that they recognise me in shops in towns where I lived 11 years ago that I am a good (in the real sense of the word) teacher.
    I need to get a handle on this observation thing, though.[​IMG]

18. I 'stopped' my main teaching to explain something to a child who hadn't understood. The child couldn't have accessed the rest of the teaching without it. Other kids were in talk partners but the HA weren't learning for the minute it took.
    How very dare I not ensure every child was learning at every part of the lesson? God help us if no notice inspections actually take place.

19. Wish I could blame mine on the kids, my HT actually said she'd seen that class be absolutely vile for other teachers, but they were lovely for me, they really want to learn, blah blah blah, isn't the fact that they've all made progress proof that they are? Same as you clear air, they learn, they remember the teacher that made if fun to learn. It's not enough. Sorry, one glass of red and I've started to rant! I feel much better sharing though!

20. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

I've been ranty all week, and no wine to blame it on[​IMG] in fact, Mr Air even said I looked like my sister (she gets cross very easily)...