1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Totally corrupt headteacher was described as "outstanding" by Ofsted

Discussion in 'Education news' started by baxterbasics, Jun 30, 2018.

1. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

From the article there was also "The panel also heard that Ms Jones failed to put proper safeguarding practices, child protection..." which I thought was in OFSTED's inspection framework.[/QUOTE]

I recently had to contact the DBS and was told precisely this fact: that it was an Ofsted responsibility.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Yes but the serious safeguarding failures happened 2 years after the Ofsted inspection....

3. drek

drek Lead commenter

If OFSTEd only inspect educational outcomes how come they influence policy changes in other areas. I quote from their latest strategy report....... to quote

“In the 25 years since it was established, Ofsted’s model is one that has been adopted as a blue print for public service inspection and regulation, both domestically and abroad. Our work has exposed areas of chronic underperformance, spurred improvement and acted as a trigger for government action. The impact of our findings goes well beyond the individual institutions we inspect, providing evidence from which others can learn and leading to changes in policy and practice in areas as diverse as extremism, care provision and early reading.”

Thousands of schools changed to academies after OFSTEd ‘provided evidence’ to the government that they were ‘failing’. Is that triggering government action or was it in response to the government policy regarding turning schools into academy?

In that report they also state that they needed to stop causing the workload and stress increases to staff prior and following an inspection judgement.

And they acknowledge that they need to reduce bias in their reports when comparing educational outcomes in deprived areas to those that are not which resulted in schools in those areas experiencing the highest qualified staff shortages.......

So not just down to the imaginations of ‘moaners on tes’...........

stonerose, Mrsmumbles and MarieAnn18 like this.
  4. install

install Star commenter

Ofsted need to go..their systems are clearly inadequate. And maybe some hts know this :cool:

stonerose and Mrsmumbles like this.
  5. Rott Weiler

Has anyone said OFSTED don't do those things?

6. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Indeed. And like estate agent spiel, a lot of ‘Heads’ these days have dual aspects: the public persona and the psychotic inept reality.

7. Mrsmumbles

Yes, badges of dishonour which reveal how utterly stupid and self deluded they are.

8. Mrsmumbles

And she too was a clanger of a bell.

9. Mrsmumbles

So which body does investigate all the malpractices you’ve just listed...because if one exists, it’s very, very ****.

stonerose likes this.
  10. Mrsmumbles

The Tories are at the back of it all...they basically want to dumb down and homogenise all the public sector jobs, kick out older experienced staff, accelerate promotions but shorten their career lifespans so that they nevertheless actually pair the staff a fair wage, and stamp on all morale so that recruitment flatlines and AI takes over. Similar rubbish behaviour is happen8ng now with the police forces in the UK, social work and the NHS. Cull it, homogenise, cut wages, destroy morale, increase turnover, grab whatever dosh your SLT can as the whole system will dies within ten years anyway. Hope they factored in the corresponding colossal drops in national insurance and tax contributions from those who have now quit teaching. Apparently, the police aren’t t really recruiting now. They’re cutting instead. Collating skills across fire and police to save cash. It’s bad.

11. defenceagainstthedarkarts

defenceagainstthedarkarts Occasional commenter

The problem certainly isn’t wholly or even perhaps partly down to OFSTED. However, I think the issue stems from the fact that schools judged to be good or outstanding are to a large extent left alone for such long periods of times and as such, and as alluded to by RottWeiler above, things can change, sometimes quite dramatically.

However, the problem is rather more simple than that. If you read the full report - https://assets.publishing.service.g...hment_data/file/721307/Jones_Web_Decision.pdf - in a sense, the problem is summarised in this quotation:

When the (£350) was not repaid, Witness E felt unable to demand ... return of the money because of Ms Jones position in the Academy.

Put simply, a headteacher has far too much power. S/he can, and has, as we see here, gained financially from that, as well as other transgressions. We see time and again on these boards that in essence, when a headteacher does not want a particular member of staff in their school, that is that.

Enough time has passed and I can share this tale. When I started as an NQT in 2003 (lord!) at the same school was an assistant headteacher and his wife, a teacher who didn’t at that point have any additional responsibility. They also had three sons, who to their credit were very nice boys, who attended the school.

Even when the boys were at school, there was a definite sense of favouritism -they were prefects and head boys and sports captains and won awards - but this was a catchment littered with social problems and so the boys, as well behaved, well dressed, well mannered, did seem worthy of the awards.

I stayed two years but kept in touch with two other erstwhile NQTs I had worked with who stayed there. Over the course of the next decade and a half, the assistant head was promoted to headteacher. Following that, his wife was employed as an assistant head (the school had a very bloated SLT) and most appallingly so were all three grown sons. They were employed as unqualified teachers and then put through degrees - funded by the school - and qualified as teachers. Their wives were also employed in various capacities.

It is both shocking and disturbing that such blatant nepotism wasn’t picked up on for years. In the end the headteacher did leave under a cloud, but it took years, and this is by and large the problem. An environment is created where no one can challenge, the headteacher gets away with it and gets away with it, and so it takes years before a string of offences, so to speak, are laid bare. There are other comparable cases. I remember one particularly disturbing one where a headteacher had a ******** in her office. Did no one go into her office? Did no one say or think ‘that is perhaps not a very good idea.’ I imagine they did, but couldn’t say so.

I would like to see an environment where a couple of visits a decade from ofsted are not the only things a head is answerable too.

12. Rott Weiler

The mind boggles, what ever was the ******** !

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  13. defenceagainstthedarkarts

defenceagainstthedarkarts Occasional commenter

Gosh.

G 0 11 ! w 0 g

:(

14. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

An analysis by the National Audit Office in May that showed more than 1,600 schools had not been inspected for six years or more and, of those, almost 300 had not seen an Ofsted inspector for at least 10 years.