1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

totally confused observations

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by blizzardboy, Nov 2, 2017.

1. blizzardboy

blizzardboy New commenter

So, as some may know I've just come through a period where myself and the department have been ripped apart. I've been called a rubbish teacher and put on a support program, The department review came out as RI. We were told off for everything from success criteria to questioning etc.

just done a learning walk with my line manager today and the stuff I've been criticised for, and stuff the department was criticised for recently are like they have never happened. I'm torn between slagging off the lessons I've seen and keeping my gob shut because my Line manager is writing everything up like it's fine now.

Last year i got ripped apart in an observation because one high ability student took all the questions, today I watch the same thing (mentioned this to my line manager) his response "well he's high ability, so it's fine, because she brought others in eventually". I just don't get it? do i challenge the line manager or let it go and if i get pulled up later by another member of SLT say "well he said it was fine"

I'm getting totally mixed messages.....

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If the line manager says it's fine, why would try to drop members of your dept in the *****?
    Defer to his 'better' judgement!

3. MissHallEnglish

MissHallEnglish Occasional commenter Forum guide and community helper

Nod and do what do you best. Mixed messages are intensely frustrating, especially when the messages differ depending on who you talk to.
    Tick their little boxes, and get on with the real stuff - the teaching.
    Full sympathy - been through something similar myself.

4. tb9605

tb9605 New commenter

Wow tough one. My sympathies.

I guess there's no reason why you can't accept the line manager's judgement, but at the same time feedback some of the areas for improvement you noticed to those staff members in a constructive and supportive way. (For example, pointing out that you were criticised for letting a HA student take all questions, the LM didn't pick up on it, but might be something that member of staff wants to work on, etc.)

JohnJCazorla and SundaeTrifle like this.
  5. SundaeTrifle

SundaeTrifle New commenter

You have got to be on the side of your department. You have been through a tough time and together you need build up again. Agree with tb9605, quietly work with your department on the things you think actually do need improving.

6. Tangalle

Tangalle New commenter

Looks to me like they are trying to show improvement. “This dept was RI last year, now it’s fine.” Is it possible you’ve been a victim of this? Either way, I would go with it

sabrinakat and SundaeTrifle like this.