1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tory voters are to blame for the mess we are in

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Kenmuir1, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Kenmuir1

Kenmuir1 New commenter

Who agrees?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  2. Kenmuir1

Kenmuir1 New commenter

How can anyone be so selfish and shortsighted to do such a thing as vote conservative.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  3. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

For which particular mess?

4. andrew07

andrew07 Occasional commenter

How can someone be so selfish to vote Labour, LibDem, Greens, etc. Let me remind you that this 'mess' in state education began to rear its ugly head under Labour. Where were all of these cries and moans about academies then? Just about every town had one. The bottom line is that all parties are to blame because all parties have done nothing but meddled constantly since the 1960s.

Landofla, emmalcm1, pepper5 and 4 others like this.
  5. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Yes, the mess started under Labour eg Academies.
    Taken to new depths under the NastyLiar coalition eg unqualified teachers, pensions cut and general rubbishing.
    Refined demonization under the Tory acolite Gove. Too much to mention...

images-13.jpg

Landofla, splinters and alla_ova like this.
  6. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

It was Labour who introduced CS and also allowed TA's to cover lessons, with the approval of the unions and if my memory serves me right, the general secretary of the NASUWT actually did a video promoting the use of CS in schools. This was despite the protest of supply teachers who pointed out that these people were in many cases not qualified and had little, if any qualifications, we also pointed out that eventually they could destroy supply teaching and when was achieved start replacing qualified permanent teachers in schools.

The Labour government response was that schools cannot use CS's and TA's to teach, but then in the same sentence but head teachers can use school staff as they see fit. The unions and teachers in permanent teachers ignored us and implied that our only concern was our income, and so ignored our wwarnings. Now we have a situation in which unqualified staff are covering and also teaching lessons on a permanent basis and it is only now that the unions and teachers are getting concerned.

So do not blame the mess solely on the people who voted Tory, I accept George Osborne's cuts are having an impact on schools and the use of supply teachers, but so is the insistence of schools, in being top heavy with senior management teams.

So the blame must lie not with the voters, but the politicians from all political parties who use education to test out their ideological ideas, the unions and teachers in permanent roles for allowing the problems to develop and to some extent schools for wasting money on meaningless titles and roles.

7. wanet

wanet Star commenter

As one of those permanent teachers at the time - I did express my concerns to the NASUWT union rep. who response was to claim that I needed to look at what we had gained. But we didn't really gain much - PPA time was already given, often better than the 10%. Although they most about doing it, most of the teachers that I spoke to actually prefered that short term cover was done by existing teachers. Don't recall ever being consulted about it. NASUWT made the decision - not teachers.

Yoda- likes this.
  8. Kenmuir1

Kenmuir1 New commenter

Still don't buy it.
    How on earth can anyone justify voting Tory is utterly staggering,

9. Kenmuir1

Kenmuir1 New commenter

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  10. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Assuming the "mess" you refer to is the wholesale privatisation of education and political appointments at Ofsted, it's not about party politics. It's about big business interests invading every private corner of every aspect of public life. Money oils the machine, not ideology. Wave a wad in front of most people and sooner or later, they'll sit up and beg. Or perhaps Jerry Hall really does love Rupert Murdoch.
    If there really were a simple dialectic, one lot of policies is good but another lot is bad, even the dimmest person could see a way clear to voting for a party that fixes the "mess". This is complex stuff not a Laurel and Hardy film
    Most supply teachers who I speak to in my regular duties just want to keep their head down, earn a living, do a good job and have a nice day.