1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tory superhead Liam Nolan struck off over his secret salary

Discussion in 'Education news' started by ridleyrumpus, Nov 6, 2018.

1. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Senior commenter

2. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

3. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

Sickening.

That sort of money could have paid for 8 TAs in different classrooms around the school for a year. It could have transformed the learning and success of so many pupils...but instead, it is about one man's greed.

tonymars, stonerose and bertiehamster like this.
  4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

5. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

The whole point of Academisation/privatisation was by hook or by crook, to make/take a profit
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]
    Clearly this was a great success.
    Seems a bit unfair to me.

6. install

install Star commenter

Some might say : Time for the complete salaries, bonuses and perks of all hts/ceos/Ofsted types/ Exec Heads/ Interim Heads and Consultants to be revealed.

And How about a 'League Table'? Some of the columns might also be headed 'Hrs per day teaching' / 'Redundancies vs. Pay rise of ht' :rolleyes:

7. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

I’ve long argued that the salaries of all senior managers and especially Heads should be in the public domain. It’s public money and too many simply cannot resist the urge to thieve and graft, while bragging how much money they are saving the school. The checks and balances to keep their salaries under control are hopelessly poor. Heads’ salaries need to be capped. I suggest an absolute maximum of twice the average salary of all employees at their school with a complete ban on all other salaries, payments, directorships, associations with private companies etc, on pain of a mandatory minimum jail sentence.

So many teachers and so many pupils are suffering because of money grabbing sk um.

TCSC47, sparkleghirl and stonerose like this.
  8. Jamvic

Jamvic Senior commenter

‘A “superhead” held up as a shining example of school leadership by Michael Gove...’

Superhead
    Shining example of school leadership
    Michael Gove

I really had no need to read any further into this article.

9. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

Most of the Salaries are in the public domain. Look at the Annual Reports of Academies and MAT's. Send the details into the local press especially in areas ,where there are a large number of food banks !!

TCSC47, sparkleghirl and stonerose like this.
  10. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

I doubt being struck off will bother him much with £160k in his back pocket and companies probably still selling their services. Surely his 'lack of integrity' must qualify for some criminal charges ?

tonymars and stonerose like this.
  11. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

At which point does something like this become criminal? Surely it is fraud. He is being paid public money, he uses his power and access to further public funds to benefit a company ( I read somewhere that the company involved relatives) that company then pays him a bonus! There something so wrong here; something that a slap on the wrist does not address.

TCSC47, tonymars, stonerose and 4 others like this.
  12. bessiesmith

bessiesmith Occasional commenter

Agree that this is fraud. People have gone to jail for benefit frauds of less than £100k. I see no reason why this is 'less' criminal.

TCSC47, tonymars, stonerose and 2 others like this.
  13. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

He already has a criminal record. He was reprimanded by the GTC in regard of it. I wonder what that’s for?

stonerose, tonymars and nomad like this.
  14. gainly

gainly Occasional commenter

stonerose and nomad like this.
  15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Liam Nolan struck off? Good

"Superhead"? Well, possibly that term could be used for a head who has received approbation for their work, even if only from selected individuals.

Tory? I am wondering what that has to do with the story. Would you have included 'white', 'Christian', 'dog owner', etc??

stonerose likes this.
  16. bessiesmith

bessiesmith Occasional commenter

I am guessing that this is a story which highlights how the Tories (specifically Michael Gove) were quick to praise the wrong types of Head teachers. Typically 'business-minded' people who put money and self-interest before the welfare and education of their students.

stonerose and tonymars like this.
  17. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Sadly the education landscape is littered with disgraced 'superheads' and both major parties are to blame for praising the wrong types.

Jo Shuter, awarded a CBE by Gordon Brown, struck off over a string of expenses abuses, including charging the school £7,000 for her birthday party.

Jean Else, made a Dame by Tony Blair, struck off in 2006 for nepotism, financial mismanagement and making illegal payments to staff.

Just two which spring to mind.

stonerose, TCSC47 and tonymars like this.
  18. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

ex-Dame Jean Else now works as a spirtualist.

https://spiritofpn.wordpress.com/2011/03/04/dame-jean-else/

No doubt ripping off other gullible clients with things that they want to hear - in this case, not Ofsted!

Here, you can see her lover, Mavis, invoking the dead back from the spirit world

ridleyrumpus likes this.
  19. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

stonerose likes this.
  20. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Senior commenter

I should be shocked but sadly not.

Shouldn't she have been able to see plod coming?

stonerose and tonymars like this.