1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tory plans for education

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Maths_Shed, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Maths_Shed

Maths_Shed Occasional commenter

2. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Surely you don't believe this. The lying scum bag will promise anything to win the impending election and the renege on it.

henrypm0, vannie, PGCE_tutor and 2 others like this.
  3. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

The title gives it away, ‘Tory plan for education’ plan, plan they will say anything. When they realise all the priorities that need to dealt with post brexit, 39 billion is not going to cut it.

phlogiston likes this.
  4. Maths_Shed

Maths_Shed Occasional commenter

He is the most untrustworthy polician I can think of, every suggestion in here seems to be short term nonsense aimed at getting some votes and I would assume to be ignored after any vote. A despicable person running a despicable party.

Usual thing though, if we can collectively come up with some hard facts to show how ridiculous and ill thought out their ideas are then maybe, maybe we can contribute to their downfall.

henrypm0 and NoseyMatronType like this.
  5. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Occasional commenter

But the Grauniad assures me that clown Boris:

"will encourage (sic) school leaders (sik) to confiscate OR ban mobile phones.,"

That is clear beyond peradventure, in'nit?

From the mouth of a 21st century political titan !

What could possibly go wrong with such gold-plated, copper bottomed assurances, I ask.

phlogiston likes this.
  6. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

Further big pay rises Chief Executives, HT,s and SMT,s. Clearly these people will not allow classroom teachers to earn £30,000 in four years unless they have escaped out of the classroom. PM will stop this process. Its all lies. Those on big salaries will also be receiving tax cuts from liar Johnson.

7. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

Call me cynical, but my first thought was 'Well, where I work, it'll be the SLT who get the pay increases..." After all, with academy status, they're the only ones deciding who gets paid what!

The emphasis on increased academisation and taking-over of failing schools also suggests this will be a rise for the executives and managers in charge of that process, although it's interesting to note that there's finally some awareness that the starting salary isn't currently enough to attract the best candidates into teaching. (And what if it's not about the money, but more about the conditions...?)

However, with NQTs starting on £30,000, and being UPS like having a target on your back for not much more, there won't be much point remaining in the classroom. Your best bet is to qualify for 2022, do a few years, then get on to SLT and become an executive head.

D1p5t1ck likes this.
  8. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

Sad to see the English education system is continuing to go even further in the opposite direction from the rest of the world. As for the 30k starting salary, given the collapse of the £, it'll need to be that if they wish to continue to attract overseas teachers. In 2007, NQTs were paid about $40,000. £30,000 is under $37,000 in today's exchange rate.

The Tories just don't really want to pay to educate the poor, unless they're likely to be a doctor or similar.

9. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

Given that M6 is around £35k, that’s one squeezed differential.

I disagree that it’d make experiences teachers expensive more quickly. If this were funded it’d make you comparatively cheap, as they’d be paying not much more for the same extra experience.

So these are the real questions. Will the real announcement look like this, and will it be fully funded.

10. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

There's not a lot new in other 'proposals'. Backing heads to exclude pupils? DfE has been doing that for years. Confiscate mobile phones? Power has been there for years. More free schools? Yawn More academy conversion? Give us a break.

I do approve of making Outstanding schools subject to regular Ofsted inspections though. Their exemption should never have been allowed by Gove in the first place.

The main proposals in the package include:

• Increasing pay for teachers, with starting salaries rising to £30,000 by 2022.
      • Encouraging school leaders to confiscate or ban mobile phones.
      • Backing headteachers to exclude pupils, with new guidance on behaviour.
      • Offering academy trusts £24,000 incentives to take over struggling schools.
      • Opening a new wave of free schools, including alternative provision schools for excluded children.
      • Removing exemptions from regular inspection for schools rated as “outstanding” by Ofsted.
      • A fresh push to convert local authority maintained schools to academy status.

alex_teccy likes this.
  11. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

Although as other posters have pointed out, this is a 'plan' rather than a promise (and where will the money come from?) what disturbed me are the references to TAs and cutting back on them in all schools. Anyone who has taught a core subject (or any subject) period 5 will know that they'd pay millions for a TA for one hour.... many a good TA saved me from throwing myself out the classroom window. I know Hattie tried to prove that TAs don't impact on outcomes; but has Hattie worked in an inner-city school where another adult in the room is an actual lifeline?

And since there seems to be a call in Boris' dream plan for education for all teachers to be able to physically restrain students; TA as witness for safeguarding concerns! Man-handling students is such a minefield I can't even begin to fathom it. A decade ago in my inner-city school one of my English colleagues (an older lady) had to physically pull one student off another in a fight in her classroom; and, you guessed it, the parents formally complained about her and an investigation was carried out. And if I even see that teachers will be 'appropriately trained' I will spit my coffee out: how many of us have been 'appropriately trained' in complex learning and behavioural needs which actually meant a tired SENCO showing two slides with bullet points lifted straight off of Wikipedia?

If anyone in education falls for this blatant bribe for votes I think I will be the one throwing colleagues out the window; here is an alternative title for this Tory plan, 'We've drastically underfunded education for almost a decade and done significant damage but - hey - here are some unicorns/breadcrumbs and ideas that'll please the Daily Mail Little Englanders; please vote for us.'

12. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

What they say and what will happen are probably different things.
    They have already shown concern about vulnerable boys having no provision once excluded. They also realise that kids with learning difficulties may not fit neatly with their ideas for improving behaviour. It's not that I'm against proper behaviour, but that the kids on the margins need appropriate provision.
    As for pay rises, we'll wait and see. No doubt they'll soon regret exceptional political circumstances meaning all public servants apart from MPs needing a pay freeze.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  13. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Johnson keeps talking about "leveling up education". What does that mean? Presumably it doesn't mean increasing the funding per pupil to the same level as Eton.

simonCOAL likes this.
  14. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Probably going to introduce "fagging" into the State school system.

simonCOAL and gainly like this.
  15. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Offering academy trusts £24,000 incentives to take over struggling schools.
    That doesn't seem much of an incentive, it will barely pay for a good night out for the CEO.

16. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

Hah!!!
    Great comment!:)

Maths_Shed likes this.
  17. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

They're now talking about larger sums of money. No doubt we'll soon discover it's money already committed.

18. install

install Star commenter

And when will they get rid of the overpaid elephant in the room - Ofsted? If they want recruitment, that would be a better incentive. Lets face it - teachers hourly pay in reality is well known to be less than the police or nurses. And still no Overtime pay....argh.

19. Jamvic

Jamvic Senior commenter

upload_2019-9-1_7-35-33.gif

gainly likes this.
  20. install

install Star commenter

They also need to 'Level up' exams for all. It is time for easier igcses to be allowed again in State schools - as allowed in private schools.

alexmurraybrown likes this.