1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tory minister 'wanted UK pensioners to be low-wage fruit pickers ...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Yoda-, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

2. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

I've not even got to old-age pensionable age yet and my knees and back play up from time to time.

Lara mfl 05 and Yoda- like this.
  3. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

'Arbeit macht frei' on the gate to the farm, that's how it all started - saves on the pensions.

4. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I'll only do it if it's soft fruit and they let me eat as many raspberries as I want and then take some home.

5. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I would pick fruit, but only the rotten ones to throw at Tory ministers.

6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

PM's and the Lords can sit there sewing mailbags in parliament so we can see them doing something productive, might help keep them awake too.

7. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Extend it to the unemployed and it saves on the food banks. A much healthier diet.

Yoda- likes this.
  8. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Please
    Do not give them any further ideas

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  9. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Outrageous idea. UK pensioners want others to be low wage fruit pickers - that's more like it!

10. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

1. Employment and earnings
    Payments received in my role as consultant to Randox Laboratories Ltd, a clinical diagnostics company, of 55 Diamond Road, Crumlin, BT29 4QY. This role began on 1 August 2015 and I received my first payment on 9 September 2015 (see below). Until further notice I now expect to receive £4,166 a month, for an expected monthly commitment of 8 hours.

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10473/owen_paterson/north_shropshire

£520.75 an hour, yes he's in an excellent position to make pronouncements on the lives of ordinary people.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  11. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Is it April 1st already???? Doesn't time fly.

12. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Sieg heil!

13. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Whoops! Why did the word "them" suddenly appear?
    GRRR!

I wonder what other ideas they have now that they could introduce, without the Liberals keeping them in check?

We have had some pretty outrageous policies so far, the bed room tax, the new points system to destroy disabled provision.....

14. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I think what happened is this.

In cabinet someone said they should target the low-hanging fruit in terms of pursuing austerity measures. Someone else mentioned cutting pensions and the two ideas got conflated.

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  15. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Wouldn't do much for farmers' productivity. My mother would probably manage to pick 2 apples before needing a long rest on her walking frame.

InkyP and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  16. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Erm if you read the piece it says a lib dem member said he said it.Personally i wouldn't trust a lib dem member anyway.IF it was an idea proposed then ideas are proposed and often abandoned......but can we be sure its a true statement or an allegation?
    However you might also remember that many families of all ages used to hop and fruit pick in days of yore.and for basic wages.
    Mind you i dont think i could do that sort of job all day long.

Yoda- likes this.
  17. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I can't get my state pension for another six years - I might well be reduced to ruddy fruit picking.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  18. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

It's Paterson; so it could be true. He's raving.

19. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

One in the basket, one in the mouth. You'll have a lovely diet of fresh fruit, your bowels will be energised with all the fibre they're getting, your skin will be glowing with all the vitamins you're consuming and the sunshine exposure will boost your vitamin D levels which will help with aching muscles. The government are actually doing the elderly a great service, and should market it as a spa experience....

Lara mfl 05 and Yoda- like this.
  20. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Good point.

Allegedly, a Tory ministers idea to save on pensions in the coalition. Work pensioners instead of paying pensions, by forcing them to pick fruit. Not even the minimum wage. Nice twist. Nasty or what?