1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tory candidate said British Jews return from Israel as ‘brainwashed extremists’

Discussion in 'Personal' started by monicabilongame, Nov 18, 2019.

1. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

https://metro.co.uk/2019/11/18/tory...49LQJ2BBOJc_87dy-P7GXOi_KTn_o3NUBcsU2NtgtngxU

Amjad Bashir has apologised for his comments, which resurfaced this week after being made in a speech to the European parliament when he was a Ukip MEP in 2014.

In a speech delivered to the European Parliament in Brussels, Amjad Bashir said: ‘As far as brainwashing by the rabbis and the politicians are concerned – I can testify to that. ‘Young men are going over from England where I come from – people of the Jewish faith who my grandchildren have grown up with as decent young men. ‘But have come back as extremists – as people that are brainwashed. ‘They will not listen to reason. There is something very peculiar and wrong going on in Israel.’

Mr Bashir was confirmed as the Tory candidate to fight the December 12 election last week and is trying to unseat Labour’s Fabian Hamilton. The restaurateur defected from the Conservatives to Ukip in 2012, before returning in 2015. His speech sparked outrage from Lib Dem Leeds North East candidate Jon Hannah who wrote on Twitter: ‘Is it just me or have the Tories lost the plot? ‘Putting an ex-UKIP MEP who talks publicly about how the ‘Israeli State brainwashes English Jews’ up as a candidate in Leeds North East? ‘Repellant anti-semitism. It seems it isn’t just Labour with a problem.’ Sam de Kare-Silver added: ‘Conservatives need to act quick and remove Amjad Bashir for his repellent comments on Jews and Israel.’

And I thought it was Labour with the massive problem!

2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

You were right. The OP doesn't mean Labour has no problem.

artboyusa, needabreak and Kandahar like this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yes?

Ah right... this would be the "some Tories are anti-muslim so Labour isn't antisemitic" argument... doesn't really work.

needabreak and Kandahar like this.
  4. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Read it again

It's the "some Tories are antisemitic too" argument.

vannie and MAGAorMIGA like this.
  5. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Another prospective MP who will pull out of the election. There'll be around thirty before December 12th. Many in the final few days.

In some constituencies there might just be two vying to win. In some there might just be one left so they'll win anyway.

It's a rush job and there aren't many sanitised people in the country. Everyone has a social media history.

6. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Oh what. I have Grandparent-generation US citizens who used to visit Ireland twice in a lifetime and go back singing Danny Boy and going All Oirish.
    My kids used to always say I sounded Welsher every time we went down to my parents'. Just how it is.

7. cuddlesB4

cuddlesB4 New commenter

Some young people go to Pakistan and come back radicalised i.e. 'brainwashed'. Is it Islamaphobic to say that?

8. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Islamophobic.

9. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

How charming that people are prepared to be so generous and forgiving when it comes to Tories who said outrageous and blatantly anti-Semitic things some years ago. Perhaps they will cut the Labour Party and its candidates a similar amount of slack? Thought not.

afterdark, Ivartheboneless and vannie like this.
  10. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

And the vast majority of Pakistani, Indian, bangladeshi, afghani kids I ever taught never ever went back or saw their families again.
    Because they were dead. That's why they were here.

Tsk i missed a few posts.

11. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Is it time to remind posters we are a secular nation and mention of religion in elections is completely irrelevant in UK elections?

The UK isn't some third world country yet, still locked into being fearful of supporting the wrong version of God.

After thousands of people lost their lives for choosing the wrong religion, we worked out that they are all driven by raving nutters for political gain, didn't we?

Who in their right mind would want to so that **** over again?

12. --Badger--

--Badger-- Occasional commenter

Labour supporters just as bad as Tory. Weaponising anti-semitism just to score points. Conflating Israel with Judaism. Shame on you.

Tory/Labour two cheeks same backside..

13. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

No, because we are not a secular nation.

14. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Labour candidate is 'Fabian Hamilton' - good historical name for a Labour candidate.

Maybe the Tory should have the first name 'Nasty'?