1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Torn between special ed or mainstream secondary :(

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by lightningbearer, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Hi everyone. I'm currently training as a secondary English teacher in Sheffield and am unsure of my next move. I would love to work in a special ed school but feel this could be a limited career option. My initial idea was to begin in a mainstream secondary school and move to special education before becoming a mainstream SENCO and then hopefully upwards but I'm wondering would it be easier to start in a job in a special education school and then become a mainstream SENCO. Would working in special ed hamper my chances of a job in mainstream schools afterwards? I'm genuinely torn and any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Many Thanks :)

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Its murder to get a job full stop (sorry... feeling thoroughly sorry for myself today).
    Apply for both and let fate decide. Good luck x

3. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

I did a few years in mainstream secondary before going into BESD special. I have said on a couple of other threads that I personally feel that it would be worth doing a few years mainstream before special. It will be difficult to get into the mainstream classroom if you have had limited experience.
    I did get a number of interviews for SENCO (in fact every SENCO post I sent my details to!) after I had been in special for around 3 1/2 years, and had positive experiences at the vast majority of them, although after one particularly lovely, and it was, I am not being sarcastic, day at one school, I realised that I was 'behaviour' rather than 'learning' so to speak, and then focused upon BESD and other alternative provision.
    Going straight into special, whatever the provision of the school (BESD, MLD, SLD, PMLD etc) could well limit career moves in the future.
    Good luck
    B x

4. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

I would agree with BexL. I am in a similar situation to you and have been subject teaching in a secondary school for 6 years. I have done a post grad in SEN and am now ready to look for a post in this field.
    I think you need experience in both.