1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tories want people to retire at 70

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Spoofer4114, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Spoofer4114

Spoofer4114 Occasional commenter

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

75 if you listen to IDS! :eek:

State pension age should be raised to 75 within 16 years, according to Iain Duncan Smith's think tank
    • Centre of Social Justice wants the state pension age to rise to 70 by 2028
    • It backs increasing the working age to 75 by 2035 for the UK's ageing population
    • Duncan-Smith's think tank says it will reduce benefits costs and boost GDP
    • It includes proposals for flexible working hours and improved healthcare

3. Spoofer4114

Spoofer4114 Occasional commenter

Yep, so not only are millenials and younger generations never going to own a their own home, they are never going to retire either. This, in one of the richest countries, the world has ever known.

4. blue451

blue451 Senior commenter

If you're poor you won't have decent healthcare, your kids won't get a decent education, you will work for a pittance or starve, you will work until you die. You will likely need some kind of insurace not only for health but also for the fire brigade so forget that.
    All those inequalities we learned about in history in primary school, that's all on the way back.

5. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

My mother is in her early seventies, and in reasonably good health. I look at her and wonder how anyone would think she’d still be capable of teaching a class of thirty eight-year-olds, or whether her general knowledge and skills would even be relevant.

The thought of dying in service is what makes me live the way I do.

My candle burns at both ends;
    It will not last the night.
    But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends,
    It gives a lovely light.

TCSC47, Sally006, Lara mfl 05 and 4 others like this.
  6. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

If you read the article, it isn't a Tory proposal.

border_walker and nomad like this.
  7. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

A lot of the disappointments in this country come from the strange idea that we're rich. If we are it's not a wealth they want to share.
    Much of our industry and many of our utilities are foreign owned. We are no longer controllers of a vast vassal empire.
    Mr Duncan Smith rarely has ideas that are for the good of most people. He's more upfront about this than some Tories, that's why he's in the fairly select club of Tory leaders who couldn't win a general election

Lara mfl 05 and MAGAorMIGA like this.
  8. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Four of the current cabinet, Patel, Raab, Truss and Kwateng have stated that British workers retire too early, are idlers and we prefer a lie in to hard graft.

9. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Is IDS not a Tory? I know it's not a proposal by the current government but do those "think tanks" not there to influence governments?

vannie, harsh-but-fair and fraisier like this.
  10. maggie m

maggie m Senior commenter

Great. I think lots of money would go on sickness , disabilty and unemployment benefits for over 65's. Of course, not silly me, none of those will exist.
    I look forward to seeing 70 year old manual workers, firemen, police, paramedics......

11. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

All presumptions and guesswork, as you cannot tell these things will happen.

12. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Strange, i do not remember such quotes,When were these made please?

13. blue451

blue451 Senior commenter

Can you tell that they won't?

14. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

This has been the agenda since Cameron took over (and probably the Tory philosophy for much longer). Funnily enough the World at War episode that discusses the setting up of the welfare state is on now. What the Tories want is for people to work until they drop to put money into the hands of tax dodging capitalists like Philip Green, and Jeff Bezos who can run away with it. If we had a proper fair tax system we could afford a welfare state. Retirement age should never have been raised from 65.

15. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

But BJ’s mistress cares about the puffins so it is all good.

vannie and harsh-but-fair like this.
  16. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

It's possible that flesh-eating zombies will have taken over the country by 2035. Can you tell me they won't?

CraigCarterSmith, emerald52 and nomad like this.
  17. blue451

blue451 Senior commenter

I'm a lot more confident about that than I am about the other stuff. Are you?

18. fraisier

fraisier Occasional commenter

In the book Britannia Unchained, https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19300051

Make no mistake Olds, the Raab-Patel-Truss-IDS & co minarchist, full deregulation brigade are the true haters of ordinary British folks (or ordinary folks I should say, British or otherwise).

19. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

It's not difficult to find...try Google!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19300051

British workers 'among worst idlers', suggest Tory MPs

British workers are "among the worst idlers in the world", a group of Conservative MPs has claimed.

The UK "rewards laziness", does not encourage risk-taking and must strive to emulate the work ethic and low-tax culture in parts of Asia, the five MPs argue in a book due out next month.

The authors include Elizabeth Truss and Dominic Raab, both tipped to be promoted in a future reshuffle.

"Too many people in Britain prefer a lie-in to hard work," they argue.

The other contributors to Britannia Unchained are Priti Patel, Chris Skidmore and Kwasi Kwarteng, influential members of the "class of 2010" - MPs elected to Parliament at the last election.

20. blue451

blue451 Senior commenter

Say the people who are off on a long summer recess while we face the biggest crisis since the war.