1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tories re-enact the Battle of Karánsebes

Discussion in 'Personal' started by modelmaker, Sep 17, 2020.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

Jolly_Roger15 and ajrowing like this.
  2. modelmaker

Out of interest, do we have any history teachers on here who can explain why this sort of stuff isn't regarded as essential education for children?

What about this then?

[​IMG]

Why was it more important for my school to let me know that Henry VII had six wives than that he had no respect for the rule of law and made it up as he went along, as his own Machiavellian advisor suggested?

If my self-educated history taught me anything, it's that tyrants come and go and their statues eventually get melted down for scrap metal sooner than those who did good do. I doubt that a state will be erected for Dominic Cummings, albeit he might dream it could be. There isn't a council in the land any longer who could afford the cost of having its bald head polished regularly enough to keep it looking decent.

ajrowing likes this.
  3. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Err, hate to be a pedant but henry Vll didn't have six wives...

;)

nomad, gainly and modelmaker like this.
  4. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Married to Elizabeth of York. Only had the one wife.

nomad likes this.
  5. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Of course Henry VIII would also have said he didn't have six wives, as he claimed most of his marriages were invalid.

6. modelmaker

A predictable typo, however whist on the subject of history, let's remember what that music hall satirist Harry Champion reminds about Henry VIII.

7. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Surely he claimed his first marriage only was invalid.

8. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

No, he annulled his 4th marriage too. According to the law, Henry had four marriages, and on entry to the latter three he was a widower. Admittedly two of those occasions were due to his misfortune in marrying criminals but that's hardly his fault. ;)

9. gainly

gainly Star commenter

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Because an obscure military error and engagement in an 18th century war between Austria and the Ottoman Empire isn't that important to the historic narrative and understanding we want to impart to the 21st century generation.

11. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Because there is considerable doubt as to whether is actually happened/happened as described,

12. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Unfortunately I don't think it's going to be as quick and easy to get rid of Johnson/Cummings and their hangers on as it was for the Austrian army to destroy itself.