1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tories promise to strengthen OFSTED

Discussion in 'Education news' started by moscowbore, Nov 29, 2019.

1. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

https://www.bbc.com/news/50593975

Beggars belief.

I hope the shadow education minister is all over this today.

I am genuinely interested to know if anyone thinks this is a good idea.

tonymars likes this.
  2. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Reading this, no teacher should vote Tory. Nor any ex-teacher. Nor anyone who has school age children; or grandchildren.

3. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

If you're a Tory it's great. A policy which costs almost no money and makes you look as if you give a damn.

tonymars, Jamvic and install like this.
  4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Well that's a vote winner!

5. thin_ice

thin_ice New commenter

Populism.

Frightening.

Trouble is, not enough people know enough about other countries and their (successful) education systems to challenge them.

tonymars likes this.
  6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

If Ofsted is going to stay whether we want it or not the only good thing in the proposal is ending the exemption from inspection of Outstanding schools. It was always a stupid idea with no discernible rationale.

abacus1982 and Jamvic like this.
  7. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

Can you imagine the new levels of hysteria by senior school management when schools are constantly on OFSTED readiness exercises?
    How many teachers will leave teaching as a consequence? How many stress related illnesses, nervous breakdowns?
    Imagine the vast amounts of pointless data which will be gathered now on a daily basis.
    Nothing good will come of it. Nothing.

cassandramark2 and Jamvic like this.
  8. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

Just think of all the new teachers who will join because of this!

drek, bessiesmith2 and Jamvic like this.
  9. BTBAM85

BTBAM85 New commenter

Let's enjoy it. The Tories are playing this election beautifully.

Labour are going to get annihilated, buried under parliament for the next ten years.

It's a shame to live in such a right-wing and low IQ country but one day I will go and I can laugh when the death penalty is re-introduced, rather than despair..

Jamvic likes this.
  10. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

Silly policy, OFSTED are a racket. Not sure that means voting in Jezza is a particularly good idea but in this respect he is right.

install and Jamvic like this.
  11. Lalex123

Lalex123 Occasional commenter

I still can’t get over how ignorant the voting population is to the conservatives BS! The only thing I keep hearing is JC is anti Semitic. Which, if true, still doesn’t explain why people would vote for BJ (te he) after his letter box comments...

tonymars and safnor like this.
  12. install

install Star commenter

It may give some hts and some slt a reason to bully more. And worsen the teacher crisis. Very sad indeed.

tonymars and Jamvic like this.
  13. Jamvic

Jamvic Lead commenter

It is certainly a backward step as anyone working in schools will already know.

But it will be a vote winner with most parents who haven’t a clue about the unintended consequences of Ofsted on the day to day education provision their children receive.

It will just usher in more things that SMT’s determine ‘Ofsted want to see’ based on gossip & hearsay from recently inspected schools. This then leads to a myriad of short term, initiatives, policies, practices that often undermine the core teaching and learning that should be taking place.

14. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

Absolutely spot on. Just when you thought the Teaching Profession couldn't sink any deeper into disarray, in come Deep Dives and the spectre of no-notice inspections. Teachers in my school are already being sent on "What Ofsted Want" courses to prepare for Deep Dives in their subjects, and there's a list of tasks all the Foundation Subject leaders need to be getting on with before Christmas to be ready in case the call comes. If we get no-notice inspections, it'll all be ramped-up even more.

It's open season for learning walks and book trawls now every subject leader is involved - my classroom had a stream of visitors all last week. It's all more stress and workload, answering endless emails from various subject leads trying to collect data in case they're the ones chosen, and with all the special 'theme days' they're trying to fit in to show how important their subject is, there's hardly time for the normal sequence of lessons where children really learn and make progress, and not just 'experience'. The whole mess is taking even more teachers than usual out of their classrooms and we're replacing them with TAs to teach the children - what a bonkers approach that is! It's only a matter of time before the SLT start to panic and tell us What They Want To See, and insisting on Greater Consistency of Approach Throughout The School. I think they should be insisting on the teachers-actually-doing-some-teaching approach, myself.

Really, they might as well employ droids. They seem to neither want to trust or pay for professionals to teach the children.

tonymars, drek, Sally006 and 4 others like this.
  15. Christopher  Curtis

Christopher Curtis Occasional commenter

Grandsire,

Sheer madness! You put it so well. So, the question becomes how to stop it. My impression from over here is that the Conservatives are more likely than Labour to win the election, so it seems to me that lots of teachers should join the Conservative Party and try to get some sense into it. Now, I know I could never do that or join the equivalent here, which is the Liberal party, so I shouldn’t be telling other people to do it. But there are some conservative teachers, I’m sure. They could do it. the alternative is for teachers their hundreds of thousands to join the Labor Party and give it good policies for the election after next. I know in saying this that it is not going to happen, but maybe a few dozen will take my advice and work their way up to positions of power and influence. That’s how we fixed a few things here.

tonymars likes this.
  16. drek

drek Lead commenter

sad...... so very sad and pathetic.

tonymars likes this.
  17. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

More rubbish from the Great Spaffer.

Yet another example of disinformation taken to a new level.

18. BTBAM85

BTBAM85 New commenter

I don't think you know much about British politics - if you don't have £££££££s to line Tories' pockets you don't get anything.

No one who is a teacher should even ASSOCIATE with Tory voters, let alone join them.