1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Torchwood !

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ff392, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Love it !

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I can't believe I've just watched an hour long episode of Torchwood where nothing happened. At the start people stop dying and they don't know the cause. At the the end, people are still not dying and they still don't know the cause. I mean OK, we've introduced Gwen and Jack (and the concept of Wales) to the programme's new-found American audience with all the requisite endless repetition, but nothing's actually happened has it? It was like watching a deleted scene.

And another thing, if Gwen wanted to stay undercover out of sight, why did she choose to live in the only farmhouse visible for miles around on Rhossili Down?

If all it's going to be is endless concessions to an uncomprehending American audience I give up. It had better improve next week.

3. They've ruined it :( I missed The Killing to watch it too! Grrrrr!

4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Yes disappointing that. I used to love the Britishness of it and the mix of characters, it's too 2-dimensional and hardly anything happened like you said. Also the last 5 mins or so with those flashes of "this season" was pointless.

5. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Not entirely, it means I only have to watch the last episode.

6. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I liked it.
    I did think there was a lot of scene setting, but there was also a good bit of drama too. Unfortunately there was a degree of gung-ho "Torchwood are the best" stuff, like the way Gwen shot down the helicopter. I think Bill Pullman is a good catch as he was acting his evil socks off (compare him with Independence Day). What it reminded me of was "24" (I only ever watched the first two series) which dragged on with lots of drama and plot twists but never seemed to go anywhere. Obviously some big bucks have gone into it and hopefully it will work.
    The unfortunate thing is that Captain Jack now seems out of character and out of place.

7. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

I didn't notice any negatives- I was too busy drooling over Captain Jack [​IMG]

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

The Killing is available on 4oD:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-killing/4od
    I'm impressed that the Americans have stuck pretty rigidly to the script and the mood of the original. (same with US version of Shameless)

9. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

It's too American. I loved the previous series but I'm not sure I'll stick with this.

10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Nothing wrong with drooling from afar, but in John Barrowman's case a waste of saliva if you're of the female gender ;-)

11. Agreed. Although I loved the juxtaposition of the American hospital with it's slim, tanned doctors and nurses with perfect teeth and gucci loafers and Cardiff General with it's bed linen trolleys in the corridors and non slim and non tanned doctors and nurses in crocs.

12. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

Not really- if he were straight, he'd hardly be beating a path to my door, would he, and I'd still be drooling!

13. I have never seen it before so I appreciated the "introductions"

14. Just watched episode 2. If you want "proper" Torchwood then forget it. It is a mixture of ER, X-Files and (as has been said) 24.Good for what its but not for Torchwood purists. It reminds me of the Doctor Who film with McGann.

15. I liked the McGann film .... Not as a Dr film but just as a film

16. Yes, that's exactly the comparison I was trying to make. The McGann film was very good in its own right but not as a part of the accepted Dr. Who "family". I feel the same with this series (or should I say "season" ) of Torchwood.

17. Fair enough

18. Not seen it yet. Hopefully will when littleman goes bed tonight.
    Waited and waited for this series then was so tired I fell asleep before it started. Good job I recorded it.

19. Still can't wait for the next episode!!

20. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I enjoyed it. I was worried that I'd have gone off it in the same way that I've gone off Dr Who but didn't need to. I think the difference is that I still like the characters in Torchwood whereas I just haven't warmed to Matt Smith and I cannot abide Amy Pond (character or actress).