1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Topics?? What are you doing?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by dizzyblonde1969, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Thanks for all those ideas!

2. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

All good ideas and I'm sure it will be a fun topic. You could 'follow' Marco Polo as he discovers new things that you can then look at in more detail.
    Just make sure you are still covering the right History topics over the course of KS2. Don't just think that you can choose any area of History for the World Study.

3. Before the summer we embarked on a project about the town we live in. Started with a title 'Hidden Keighley' and went from there. I did a lot of leg work over easter taking photos and general research but I left the idea open. It really grew as the children took 'ownership.' It ended up not only being a history of the town, but also of the school and the story of the children themselves. We worked with a local artist and film maker. The children's work became part of a display at the local library for the local history group's annual history day. It's a bit difficult to sum the entire project up in a few words but it was one of discovery and always looking for new things in what may seem everyday and mundane. The film and link to research pages are on the front of the school website

http://www.schooljotter.com/showpage.php?id=2992

4. Have you a copy of your challenges please? We are starting a topic in Yr 3 called Knights and Castles in Spring and as this is our first attempt at creative curriculum would really appreciate any ideas. Our link is Sir Charlie Stinky Socks

5. Decide what you really want the children to achieve- is it to be be geographer and learn the skills needed to study another part of the world? Or is is a secret agenda and you really want to get interesting non-chronological reports out of them?
    Could you have a letter sent that challenges the children to something i.e. write/e-mail to pen-pals or visit some chinese inspired place. We've taken groups of children to Indian resteraunts as a kick start. Could the outcome be to professionally publish their work e.g, a non-fiction book about china/ or stories inspired by another culture (scholastic will do this and you can sell hardbound books at a profit) or do an assembly and invite their parents into share?

6. Hi Have you got a copy of Ros Wilson's Creative Curriculum from Andrell Publications? This has some great ideas. Get on the course if you can (if they are still running).

7. My epics this year are inaders and settlers, home and away, toys 4 us, off with their heads, and an artist study ( no name for this context yet as we are waiting to see which artist has an exhibition at the local art museum)

8. Sorry for the errors in my above message just very quickly typed a reply and didn't proof read it.

9. We are having a creative curriculum week throughout the school in a couple of weeks time. The topic is 'The Future'. I teach Yr 3 and to be honest I am really struggling for ideas. Can anyone help? Many thanks.

10. I'm teaching Y1/2 on my final year placement at the moment. The topic given to me was animals so as I am quite well travelled we are using the medium of animals to go around the world. We are currently in Oman where we have looked at camels and what it is like to live in the desert. The kids enjoyed seeing all the artifacts I brought in and seeing the photos that were actually mine (and occasionally with me in them) rather than some generic photos from online!

11. These ideas from everyone are wonderful, creative, exciting, activities that children will respond well to, but............. linking with key skills and is easy, linking with NC programmes of study is <u>not.</u>
    You can end up with very vague and incoherent links, linking some of the science is a real stretch. Unfortunately, the current NC is still statutory.

12. I base all my topics on the NC, but find that it can be quite flexible when I want it to be!
    Most of the programmes of study are of value and many are interesting like the history and geography ones, but we don't have to spend exactly the same amount of time covering each one. You could cover one theme in a week, and another in a term.

13. Milgod

I agree that you can be flexible (although I'm not sure how you could cover a whole History topic in a week unless you were spending everyday on the topic).
    The point that was being made is that many teachers have stated topics that are not listed in the 'breadth of study'. That is fine to do as long as you are still covering the topics that you need to.

14. Msz

Msz Established commenter

The point is there is nothing to stop you doing just that as long as you cover everything else in the year

15. Milgod

Do teachers know what they need to teach though? Many of the topics mentioned are big ones over at least a term. I hope they realise they can't ignore the NC.

16. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Surely the answer is to map out the statutory elements (which aren't that large) before planning topics

17. We started 2 years ago with big curriculum projects once a year to get us into the idea. I was in Yr3 then and we took our old History planning of Romans and planned a project around this, which also included Art, Literacy, Science and ICT. We 'hooked' the children in with a newsreel (produced for us by the local TV station) based on a local Roman interest where the children took tha role of historical detectives - essentially archeologists!! It lasted for 6 weeks and culminated in a museum being produced by the children where all of our visitors and parents were invited. The following year we got together with the yr4 and did a film project in a similar way. Last year I was working on my own so I took the skills and coverage and combined existing subject planning together in 6 mini topics. The 'bits' that didn't fit with anything else I put together in the final term and set the children a 'Big Box Challenge'! I got a BIG BOX and put leaflets and artefacts(such as gardening tools etc), models and letters from fictional characters into it and each week the children picked something out to work on during that week. They loved it as they really felt that it came from them!! You don't have to completely rewrite the curriculum, lots of strands from different subjects will fit together without contriving them, and dont be afraid to teach certain skills/coverage as stand alone units if it doesn't fit in. you can still make it fun and creative. Have Fun!!

18. I used China as a topic for one of my final assignments in uni where we planned a short topic based on a country (main focus of assignment on foundation subjects rather than core). Here's some things you could look into:

Religion - Buddhism, features of a temple, aids to prayer e.g, prayer flags / wheels, celebrations (Chinese New Year - Jan / Feb)
    Geography - Map skills (locating China and specific locality), Giant pandas in Chengdu (endangered species), earth quakes, fast growing population and its affects on China (one child law)
    Art - creating prayer flags (tie-dye / batik), calligraphy, dragons, terracotta army (clay and 3D work), could create a whole class Chinese dragon with each child contributing
    Music and Dance - dragons, dragon dance compositions, fireworks (Chinese New Year)
    ICT - ppt presentations
    Science - habitats, adaptation (link with Giant pandas)
    DT - paper lanterns, Chinese kites, prayer wheels
    History - Great Leap Forward, discovery of Terracotta Army

Some great citizenship links for China. Hope this helpful :)