1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Topics for my Y2/3/4 class

Discussion in 'Primary' started by hezzy_pie, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    Just returned from a holiday and now getting down to business with planning for September!
    I will have a class of 30 Y2/3/4 children. I know all the children really well which means that I know the topic that is planned for September (Egyptians) will not be at all suitable because most of the children are very immature. I am quite lucky in the sense that I have freedom on what topics I choose for the year, as long as they have not already been covered!
    I was wondering if anybody had any good ideas for topics which will suit a class of this age range? I think they may be able to cope with an Egyptian/Viking topic in January but I am stuck for what to do between September and Christmas. The one idea I do have is to do 'Once Upon a Time' theme but it is a very boy heavy class and not sure if this will really appeal to them!
    The recent topics I have done are Tudors, Rainforests and India so they're all out the window!
    Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks, Heather x

2. Hi everyone,
    Just returned from a holiday and now getting down to business with planning for September!
    I will have a class of 30 Y2/3/4 children. I know all the children really well which means that I know the topic that is planned for September (Egyptians) will not be at all suitable because most of the children are very immature. I am quite lucky in the sense that I have freedom on what topics I choose for the year, as long as they have not already been covered!
    I was wondering if anybody had any good ideas for topics which will suit a class of this age range? I think they may be able to cope with an Egyptian/Viking topic in January but I am stuck for what to do between September and Christmas. The one idea I do have is to do 'Once Upon a Time' theme but it is a very boy heavy class and not sure if this will really appeal to them!
    The recent topics I have done are Tudors, Rainforests and India so they're all out the window!
    Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks, Heather x

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Senior commenter

How about space-links with science and lots of fiction to fit in too ( Iron man is good!)
    either Robots or pirates would be good too!

4. I've just finished a topic on Castles which my boy heavy class absolutely loved.

5. My immature boy heavy class loved once upon a time as a topic as I chose Jack and the Beanstalk and the tinderbox as the stories - lots of boy friendly soldiers, giants etc.

6. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

What about Wheels as a topic title? It lets you explore the History of Inventions, and you could find out about the first bikes and motorbikes and cars, buses and trains?