1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

topics for ks3 and GCSE French

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by henriette, Mar 9, 2011.

1. henriette

henriette New commenter

Go to the website of one of the publishers (eg Heinemann) and look at their free resources

2. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

That'll be up to the individual school and what scheme of work they have in place. Generally speaking, for French, what I have done in terms of grammar is opinions with reasons in Y7, past and near future in Y8, imperfect tense in Y9 (with regular simple future perhaps if the group was good) in order to reach a level 5/6 at the end of Y9. It will probably follow closely what the textbook does.

3. Is the textbook one provided by QCA or a similar organisation? Or is this the school's choice? For example the school in which I observed lessons used expo. Yes those grammar breakdowns make perfect sense, thanks. I find these new attainment targets so confusing especially as someone who is just preparing for interview! I am worried they may ask me how my particular skills relate to the national curriculum for MFL...I really do not know what they are looking for here! Please help, I have done so much research yet I am still stumped on this question! If they ask me about the MFL curriculum and the changes all I can think to mention is
    1.The obvious impact of the decision to change French from mandatory to optional past KS3 in 2004, lower number of students in GCSE classes, schools shying away from MFL due to lower grades achieved (I think)
    2. The need to do four controlled assessments from 2009, am I right in thinking most subjects only do 2? However, I don't know why this is bad for the pupil..are there not advantages such as the lack of a one off oral exam which is very daunting?
    3. Languages must be studied in primary school from year 7
    Are these the main points. I am so nervous I really want to have this all covered before the interview! Thanks
    Lyndsey

4. funambule

funambule New commenter

Suggest you do a search on these topics; they have all been discussed recently on the forum.
    Point 3 isn't right: Languages are begun in Year 3 in Primary and continue until Year 6.
    90+% of Primary schools teach one or more languages BUT it is not yet statutory; pupils currently have an `entitlement'.
    For this and your other questions I suggest you look at the CILT website and the ALL site. [​IMG]

5. Thanks very much to all who replied your help is much appreciated. Finally I have one last question if anyone is able yo help! I am aware that the GCSE oral has changed to controlled assessment but am unaware what exactly students have to do? I know that there is a statement with bullet points but how does this work? I have tried different exam boards specifications but they are still very vague. Sorry..last question I promise! Thanks again for replying
    Lyndsey

6. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

CA happen throughout the year rather than end of Y11, if teachers want. You do them when you want, you set the questions (bullet points), the last one is a surprise question. You can do as many as you want but minimum two. They are a pain in the backside to organise because of the time constraints (4-6 minutes for each, times number of kids you teach, times minimum 2 CA) but they are generally easier than the previous end of Y11 exam (because essentially there are 6-8 questions per exam). If you look at specifications from exam board, you'll be able to read all the boring details.
    Btw the above applies to AQA, not necessarily other exam boards.