1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Topic Work

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tm73, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Hi I'm a secondary trained teacher, currently teaching Yr6. This is my first year in a primary school I love primary teaching and the kids have made incredible progress. I'm teaching very much a secondary way though. I have distinct differences between lesson and timings eg. Science runs from 1-2 on a Wednesday then it's Geography 2-3. Many of my colleagues blend lots of subjects into topics and don't really have subjects per se but work using topics. These topics cover many strands of the curriculum. I've been looking on Hamilton and the topics seem great and very plausible, is there anyone out there that has experience of both ways of teaching, along with recommendations, advice, tips etc.

Thanks

Tom

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would stick with what you and the children are used to until after the SATs.

Then, as you have year 6, you could ask them what topic they would like to study (maybe lead them to choosing the Olympics). Use the week after SATs to work with them to come up with an overall heading and what they could learn. Split the learning into subject headings with them to ensure you cover art, DT, maths, literacy, science, etc. Then work again with them to put together a general overall timetable for the last half term.

There is a thing on here called 'theme park maths' or something similar which is perfect for the week or two after SATs and you can easily add in literacy activities as well. You could finish the first half term using this for maths and literacy while keeping your separate subjects to finish off those topics.

I do have a clear timetable with all subjects, but those subjects link together in an overall topic. And I do have days or half days where the timetable goes to allow for longer activities.

3. Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm doing lots of revision with my class as the minute and I'm finding the afternoons (Num and Lit get covered in the am) are starting to become a bit redundant as the children are blown out and exhausted from the morning. I want to try and lighten things up in the afternoon but without losing their focus and work ethic. The Olympics idea is brilliant, thank you. I did theme park maths with them before easter. I used is as a chill out activity 1 Thursday morning, and they did it continuously until 3pm on the Friday...ha!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOLOL We did it for a whole week last year!

You could come up with, look on here for, ask on here for, art ideas that would be a project for every afternoon for a week. If you had a few different ideas it could take you up until SATs.

One of the things I like about primary that I never had in secondary, is the freedom to just stuff the curriculum sometimes and do whatever works for the children.