1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Topic - Shipwrecked - Help!!

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by kelsmif, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Hello everyone. I am looking for opinions. I am about to start my probation year in a P6 class. I am thinking about doing a topic called "Shipwrecked!" but not sure if I'm being too ambitious. Examples of what I am planning to do are listed below but I can't decide if it's not specific enough to one area or if that is even an issue, as long as it covers CfE. Do topics really have to be specific, e.g. a science topic or a history topic etc?

Example ideas:

1. People and Places - Comparing what would be different considerations if you were shipwrecked on a scottish island or a caribean island
    2. Literacy - Class Novel, "The Tempest" from Shakespeare's Stories for Children
    3. Literacy - Writing creative story about what it would be like to be washed up on an island, using the film castaway as inspiration for things like what noises they might hear, what would be important
    4. Science - How to find clean water or purify water, what micro-organisms might be in water that would affect your health.
    5. Maths - estimating distance of island groups from scotland by looking at a map and then measuring distances. Calculating area of land etc.
    6. HWB - Keeping yourself in a good state of mind if you were alone. Looking at "Wilson" in castaway and thinking about things you could do if you feel alone.
    7. Music - use a graphic score of a storm.

The list goes on and it is still a developing idea but as you will see, it isn't specifically related to a single area of the curriculum and this is my concern.

Any comments, suggestions, ideas are greatly appreciated!

Thanks

2. Hello everyone. I am looking for opinions. I am about to start my probation year in a P6 class. I am thinking about doing a topic called "Shipwrecked!" but not sure if I'm being too ambitious. Examples of what I am planning to do are listed below but I can't decide if it's not specific enough to one area or if that is even an issue, as long as it covers CfE. Do topics really have to be specific, e.g. a science topic or a history topic etc?

Example ideas:

1. People and Places - Comparing what would be different considerations if you were shipwrecked on a scottish island or a caribean island
    2. Literacy - Class Novel, "The Tempest" from Shakespeare's Stories for Children
    3. Literacy - Writing creative story about what it would be like to be washed up on an island, using the film castaway as inspiration for things like what noises they might hear, what would be important
    4. Science - How to find clean water or purify water, what micro-organisms might be in water that would affect your health.
    5. Maths - estimating distance of island groups from scotland by looking at a map and then measuring distances. Calculating area of land etc.
    6. HWB - Keeping yourself in a good state of mind if you were alone. Looking at "Wilson" in castaway and thinking about things you could do if you feel alone.
    7. Music - use a graphic score of a storm.

The list goes on and it is still a developing idea but as you will see, it isn't specifically related to a single area of the curriculum and this is my concern.

Any comments, suggestions, ideas are greatly appreciated!

Thanks

3. I like the idea - but you can't use the film castaway as it is a 12. I think that topics are best when they can link into lots of areas and this topic would do that.It is also worth checking what topics they have already done.

4. Hi kelsmif
    What about "Robinson Crusoe" by Daniel Defoe; or more particularly the story of Alexander Selkirk from Lower Largo in Fife on whom it is based, a Scottish link there. You could also look at what items would be important to have with you if you were shipwrecked; which would take precedence etc could be an interesting discussion. Also Desert Island Discs, what music/books would you take if you were a castaway and why? Sounds like a topic you could use a Storyline approach for, lots of technology (water carriers, shelters etc) outdoor learning and artwork. This could be a really exciting project and P6 would definitely get a lot out of it.
    Good luck
    B

5. peppermint25

peppermint25 New commenter

I too am trying to plan for a shipwreck and treasure Island topic. Does anyone have any really exciting ideas on how I could start the topic with the children? :)

6. Some flotsam and jetsam washed up in the corner of the classroom along with a message in a bottle would start a good Storyline approach to this topic.
    B

7. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

There's always the Disney classic 'Swiss Family Robinson' (1960).
    Okay, it's a bit dated and a somewhat romanticised view of what it would be like to be shipwrecked on an island but it may capture the imagination of a P6 class.
    There's the building of a tree-house, an attack by a stuffed anaconda, some knockabout humour that children usually enjoy and lots of explosive action (before the age of computer-generated graphics).
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjDUFFMmLN4

8. Just done a similar topic, for literacy we used 'Kensuke's Kindom' by Michael Morpurgo - fantastic text. When we got to the end one of the children commented "wow, I never thought a book could be so emotional!"

For design and technology we made small rafts using resources we could find from our grounds. We tested them out using weights and thought about how we could make them better.

9. That's what I had thought about doing as well. I really enjoyed that book myself and when I was reading it I could see the wealth of learning points in it. I love the thought of using materials from the school grounds and had thought about making rafts for technology but actually, maybe lolly sticks would work well with that. Definitely plenty to think about here. Thanks!

10. Well our topic was 'survival'. We looked at structure of rafts and designed our own. The challenge was finding the resources needed from what was available around them. It was a lesson in being resourceful and flexible depending on what they could find just like they would have to do if stranded somewhere. I was helpful a little bit and did provide them with string and scissors! It was interesting though how they struggled tying wood together. Our school has a forest area so plenty of wood around which helped. The kids loved spending the afternoon out there too.

11. peppermint25

peppermint25 New commenter

These are some excellent ideas! MsBB1971 I am really interested in your topic on 'survival' as I too would like to steer the topic down this route. Your raft idea is terrific, what a great learning experience for the children. Can I ask what some of the other activities you did with your class were? Many thanks in advance :)

12. Aww thank you. Well like you we thought about using the theme 'shipwrecked' but felt we needed to broaden the topic to maximise learning opportunities so we decided on 'I will survive!'. First we gave the children an experience to generate questions and immerse them in the topic. We had a survival afternoon in the school grounds. We rotated four activities - fire safety activity where children made a camp fire; transporting water using limited resources; sending messages using flags and first aid, immobilising an injured limb and moving a casualty.

We did work on mountain ranges and in science covered life cycles where we planted tomato seeds, nurturing the plants to plant in our outside planters. In literacy we did biographies based on the explorer Ed Stafford. Ed has just completed walking the Amazon River and there are loads of resources documenting this feat. Go through the princes trust rainforest project website rather than Ed's own as these video clips, blog etc were aimed for children, his website is a bit more adult. We left Kensuke's Kingdom until the second term and I am glad we did as the children's growing knowledge allowed them to really engage with the text.

Hope these ideas are useful, our children really enjoyed this topic especially learning about Ed Stafford!

13. Did you find that it worked better taking it over 2 terms? I really like the idea of doing that , or keeping the topic for a longer term such as after christmas. Because it's my probation year I really want to pull something engaging for the children out of the bag but because I haven't done any "real" teaching yet I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. I really like the idea of the different stations. I may steal that if it's ok.

14. Sorry, meant second half term. We do three topics a year. I work in a team of three classes so the survival afternoon involved all three classes which we split into four groups, each of the four activities were led by a member of staff. Enjoy your first year, I'm about to start my third and just beginning to find my feet... ??