1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Topic - Seaside/Holidays

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by MissSymonds, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have any ideas for the topic seaside and/or holidays. Ive got some resources from the resource section but my mind is drawing a blank - i was expecting the topic ourselves for september! lol Damn our 4 year rotation on topics!

Any small or big ideas would be more then appreciated! Thank you guys!

xxx

2. Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have any ideas for the topic seaside and/or holidays. Ive got some resources from the resource section but my mind is drawing a blank - i was expecting the topic ourselves for september! lol Damn our 4 year rotation on topics!

Any small or big ideas would be more then appreciated! Thank you guys!

xxx

3. I found something on the internet a while ago on the children's book week website which is part of booktrust. It is a keystage 1 activities sheet linked to the seaside. If you do a search for the website you should be able to find it. It recommends the following books: The Boy on the Beach, Niki Daly, Sally and the Limpet, Simon James, Seal Surfer, Michael Foreman and Una and the Sea Cloak, Malachy Doyle. Lots of ideas for activities are listed. I went into a class room who were doing a seaside topic and they had made a giant cardboard cutout of a beach hut which they had painted yellow. Seagulls had been made and suspended from the ceiling (from cardboard tude painted white, with heads and tails attached). An octopus had been cut out of a big piece of cardboard, painted blue, plastic cups were hung of it to resemble tentacles and were numbered. It was hung from a door. A mini beach had been created with pebbles and sand, I think in an ild sandpit. There was a mini deckchair and picnic set out. They had made seashells out of clay....

4. I also waled past my local opticians and they had a giant wave display in their window made entirely out of holiday postcards arranged to ressemble a wave shape. I looked fantastic.

5. Some really good ideas, thanks! I never thought of having a beach role play!

Please keep them coming! xxxx

6. Just done this Ice cream shop role play was by far the best bit!

Used playdough for icecreams and the children loved it!! (although a few treid to tatse it! ut on the once!!)

7. miss symonds -let me have your email and i will send what i have

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Packing a suitcase for a beach holiday from a selection of clothes making choices about what is suitable and what is not.

I once made a display for a beach area using pulses/split peas/ beans to create a textured beach plus anagypta (wave effect) wall paper painted with rollers for the sea then added a rock pool plus all the creatures. It looked very effective. You could also make a light house and use batteries and a bulb to make a light I've done this with reception and even made switches using different materials to make it flash.

Octopus made with thick tights and numbered legs.

Role play beach hut with buckets and spades. Design make own flag patterns

9. cinderella1

cinderella1 New commenter

Hiya
    I link my seaside topic to books then plan though stories

Sharing a shell By Julia Donaldson (lovely book set on seashore in rhyme..........good PSE links

Commotion in the Ocean
    Smiley Shark

10. Oh i actually have the sharing a shell book, i don't know why it didn't come to me before.

I wish my school had better big book resources, its taking me hours to scan the pages in on my white board.

Thanks for everyones suggestions, my mind is now ticking.

If anyone has anymore ideas on books that would be fab, then i can base the topic around my literacy!

Thanks again xxx

11. helskie26

helskie26 New commenter

12. cinderella1

cinderella1 New commenter

The whales song

Lilly's Lighthouse (one of my favs).............lovely link to safety by the sea, you could do a week on this, suncream, keeping safe in water etc.....

we turned our sand area into seashore...with rock pools etc...

painted our windows to reflect the pictures from sharing a shell, and children still use to retell story they loved it.

The Fish Who could wish

13. Can I be cheeky and ask for a copy of you resources too?

samantha1982@hotmail.co.uk

We are having a whole role play day based around going to the beach.