1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Topic planning.

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Amie1509, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Hey!
    I have been planning history for year 5.
    Our topic is Victorians. I would like to base a lesson around the lives of children.
    My objective is for the children to find comparisons between their own lives and victorian children.
    Does anyone have any interesting ways to engage the children in this area?
    I was thinking perhaps a story or video?
    For the main activity I thought perhaps the children could write a letter to a victorian child.
    Any fun history starters that i could use throughout the topic would be a great help.
    Also any books you could suggest for planning history/topic lessons would be useful. I don't want to buy a book that might be dismal as their quite expensive.
    Thanks

2. Hey!
    I have been planning history for year 5.
    Our topic is Victorians. I would like to base a lesson around the lives of children.
    My objective is for the children to find comparisons between their own lives and victorian children.
    Does anyone have any interesting ways to engage the children in this area?
    I was thinking perhaps a story or video?
    For the main activity I thought perhaps the children could write a letter to a victorian child.
    Any fun history starters that i could use throughout the topic would be a great help.
    Also any books you could suggest for planning history/topic lessons would be useful. I don't want to buy a book that might be dismal as their quite expensive.
    Thanks

3. Chazette

Chazette New commenter

Hey, dunno if you know about horrible histories on CBBC?
    They have some great clips to do with the 'vile victorians' especially around the jobs kids do. Search youtube, theres loads.
    Not sure if thats what your after but just a thought [​IMG]