1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

topic ideas for those not going on residential

Discussion in 'Primary' started by merlymoo, Aug 17, 2011.

1. need some ideas for those children (Y 3-6) not going on residential 2nd week in. I am usually on the residential but not this year. I know that Flat Stanley has been used in the past but need something I can make enjoyable and cross curricular for 3 days.
    Thank you in advance.

2. Preferably linked to a text??

3. What about becoming a travel agency? The pupils could write some holiday brochures, design some holiday packages, create an advert using photostory, send a photographer on location (create the location a bit like the old Thomas Cook advert did). I can't think of a text.
    Alternatively, link it to a particular country so you could find a text for that country.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I have used one of the children's versions versions of a Shakespeare play for just such a time. The best was Twelfth Night. Children acted it, wrote love letters, job applications, made massive collages, made costumes, made an island and so on. We had a fabulous time.

Be careful though, if you make it too good children don't want to go on the residential the year after!

5. greta444

greta444 New commenter

A rugby world cup mini topic? Although if you're like our school those not on residential are girls??

6. Environmental week. We do this with our year 3's when our year 4's are away. It's a broad enough topic so there is plenty of scope and easy to come up with lots of cross curricular ideas. We have a really fun exciting week and it takes their mind of the fact that their class friends are away on holiday.

7. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide