1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Topic help please - Portrait of Britain

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by smob, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I'm starting my probation year after the summer and the probationer leaving has chosen my first topic which is Portrait of Britain.
    She said she chose this because the teacher before her had chosen this for her but when she got to school the topic box had not turned up so I am likely to have no specific resources.
    My idea was to start on a map of the UK and pinpoint the place the children had been previously but after that I'm not sure where to go.
    Oh and I'll have a primary 5. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. [​IMG]

2. Hi all,
    I'm starting my probation year after the summer and the probationer leaving has chosen my first topic which is Portrait of Britain.
    She said she chose this because the teacher before her had chosen this for her but when she got to school the topic box had not turned up so I am likely to have no specific resources.
    My idea was to start on a map of the UK and pinpoint the place the children had been previously but after that I'm not sure where to go.
    Oh and I'll have a primary 5. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. [​IMG]

3. Tweak the topic a little! Track the route of the Olympic Torch through the UK and finish with a topic about London. Plenty of scope for imagination there.

4. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

Are you in Aberdeenshire at all?

5. I am indeed in the shires.
    I didn't want to go down the olympics route because I wanted to do a topic along those lines later in the year. My ideas are:

• <font face="Calibri">Map of UK (Largescale)&ndash; plot major cities</font>
    &middot;

6. Oops.. didn't format properly (it was a copy and paste job from my notes)

They are:

• Map of UK (largescale) - plot major cities
    • Where have they been in the UK?
    • Factfile of the UK - population, languages
    • Different landscapes - How sand is formed, water cycle
    • Types of houses and buildings - maybe local survey (cross-curricular with maths)
    • Trip to a local historical house (my friend works at one of them and has created an educational tour for schools with a pack)
    • British art movements

7. Milkandchalk

Have a look here to see if there's anything useful.
    The political aspect of this topic can be quite challenging but is best run as a class election to elect your class/eco/health reps and you can then link into how this happens in Britain already. Match the politician to their job and responsibilities...
    Hope this helps.

8. Milkandchalk

9. Milk and cheese you are amazing! Thank you! Do you think the other ideas that I put up would be ok too? I'm kind of debating between using a google earth kind of thing or a traditional atlas (mind you there's no reason I can't create both is there?

10. Milkandchalk

Yes, I'd run the geography and politics side by side. The initial task will be good to assess their mapping abilities. I don't see a reason why you can't use the maps and the atlas ideas.
    Had P5 in the shire for more years than I can count so if you need anything else, give me a shout.

11. Aww milkandchalk you are a true star! I have taught every other year group apart from primary 5 lol. I'm looking forward to it because it hopefully means I'll be in a better position to get a job when I finish probation.
    I'll add you as a friend if that's ok?
    Thanks again.
    xxx

12. jennycooke

jennycooke New commenter

Oddizzi.com would be a good resource for you and your children to use. It has a fantastic free interactive map and loads of information on Britain!

13. Can also use reference texts to get children to compile information about contrasting parts of UK. (A Scottish island, London, Lake district, Blackpool)