1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Topic grump!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by webbyjo, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Have felt compelled to speak out after reading another post. Sorry Glitzygirl81, not your fault at all (that's why I didn't want to put this on your thread!) Does anyone else feel the need to question how an EYFS setting can possible plan that their topic after half term is going to be the Circus?! Am (maybe naively) assuming they have a new intake of children in September, what about child initiated planning and goining from their interests? How many children nowadays go to the circus or even know what one is? Don't get me wrong, part of me would love to be able to plan out the year with topics, one of the hardest things about teaching in Foundation Stage is having to 'wait and see' what you're going to be learning about each year but that's the nature of our job!! Rant over, feel better now!

2. Have felt compelled to speak out after reading another post. Sorry Glitzygirl81, not your fault at all (that's why I didn't want to put this on your thread!) Does anyone else feel the need to question how an EYFS setting can possible plan that their topic after half term is going to be the Circus?! Am (maybe naively) assuming they have a new intake of children in September, what about child initiated planning and goining from their interests? How many children nowadays go to the circus or even know what one is? Don't get me wrong, part of me would love to be able to plan out the year with topics, one of the hardest things about teaching in Foundation Stage is having to 'wait and see' what you're going to be learning about each year but that's the nature of our job!! Rant over, feel better now!

3. I absolutely agree. Our reception class also starts the year with a circus topic, thank heavens I'm in nursery! My choice would be to have a very loose topic based on the seasons of the year, school context and festivals, then focus in how children respond and incorporate their ideas and interests.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I think many "ready made" topics are meaningless for young children ... you need to ask how many even know what a circus is and while we need to broaden children's knowledge is it an appropriate vehicle for that purpose.