1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

topic based teaching world war 2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Hunter 10, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Does anyone used topic based teaching? Trying it out in couple of weeks around theme of WW2. Any ideas?

2. Does anyone used topic based teaching? Trying it out in couple of weeks around theme of WW2. Any ideas?

3. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Ooh, we had a whole WW2 week - it was fantastic and wish we had done it for longer!

Some things I did (KS1 but adaptable) include:

DT - Designing and making a WW2 dish - researched into available ingredients

Comparing modern day cake with sugar and butter to a WW2 cake.

Made a Gas mask box from card

MUSIC - we looked at Glenn Miller ando ther similar music. Also 'war songs' - run rabbit etc (children played instuments to 'bless em all' )

PE - dance to Glenn Miller

GEOG - locate germany, france, USA etc on a map

ART - we did some work based on poppies. Stained glass windows, created a field of poppies (based on an artists work but can't remember who)

LITERACY - wrote postcards home as evacuees, crated Identity cards

MATHS - weighing (linked to cooking in DT), measuring (linked to Gas mask boxes)

Um... can't think what else at the moment - we did so much and we had so many workshops! But I'll let you know if I think of more

4. thanks for that. Anyone else?

5. We used Hamilton literacy plans - excellent - and started topic by using TASC wheel - questions from children then were answered as we went through the term. The reading areas became airraid shelters, we visited a world war 2 classroom at a local museum, we used A&C black song 'Evacuate' and invited grandparents in to talk about their experiences. Fantastic for years 3/4.

6. martianpoolwoman

martianpoolwoman New commenter

I don't know where you in Britain, but Yellow Brick Road Workshops for schools do a cross-curricular WW2 workshopfor KS2.
    It is literacy, history and drama based and includes WW2 artefact handlig incl ARP warden's as mask, WW2 dancing and music, airraid drama and much more.

Their web site is http://yellowbrickroadworkshops.webeden.co.uk
    take care

martian

7. We used the website www.musicalhistories.com for assembly songs about World War II. Really good and catchy songs.

8. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

my parents lived through the war, so i am sure that you will have plenty of expertise on tap if you ask around the staff room (especially the none teaching staff)

9. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Enjoy it while it lasts. WW2 is not on the primary curriculum from 2014.

10. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

and you should hear the whinging in the secondary where i am on supply just now, from Female english teachers who regard WW2 as of <u>absolutely no relevence</u> to the <u>girls</u> in their school. I wonder if they have any understanding of the difference to women that the change in working roles made?