1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Topic based curriculum

Discussion in 'Primary' started by yogagrl, Jun 30, 2007.

1. My school is changing to a topic based curriculum and i, as an NQT, have been asked to come up with some topics to teach. I am very excited about being involved with this new development in the school but a little daunted as i don't know how to go about creating topics for the year (mixed 3/4 class), which are exciting, inspiring and cover all the objectives.. I am trying to include all the subjects in the topic, whilst i am aware that some objectives can't 'fit in' the given topic.. Any ideas, please?? Has anyone got any experience setting up topics?

2. My school is changing to a topic based curriculum and i, as an NQT, have been asked to come up with some topics to teach. I am very excited about being involved with this new development in the school but a little daunted as i don't know how to go about creating topics for the year (mixed 3/4 class), which are exciting, inspiring and cover all the objectives.. I am trying to include all the subjects in the topic, whilst i am aware that some objectives can't 'fit in' the given topic.. Any ideas, please?? Has anyone got any experience setting up topics?

3. sign up to creative curriculum yahoo group thread on here Peecee will sign you in lots of ideas on there and people to help you

4. Leave me your e-mail, I can send you my topics for the next three year covering all areas of learning with a year 3/4 class

5. I am year 4. I have used Victorians, Africa and Changes and our Local Environment as my 3 big topics this year. Have linked most subjects in one way or another, some things just can't be linked and such false links shouldnt be forced.

6. fluffsterfluffster can I be really cheeky and ask if you could send me the list of topics you use.

Thanks in advance

Busybot AT hotmail DOT co DOT uk

7. yogagirl and busybot you both have mail. Let me know what you think

8. Looks like a good place to start - some of the things you are covering get covered in the year 4/5 class not mine, but it is good to see another way that someone has tackled it. We are working towards this - two of us are moving more towards this, but probably a big change of staff and class structure the year after so big review then.

Only had a quick look as I have assignments to finish.

Thanks

9. Can I be cheeky and ask you to email the topic webs for yr 3/4 class to me please?
    Many thanks x.
    Nelzfam@aol.com

10. Hi fluffsterfluffster, I would be really grateful if you could email me a copy of your plans as I will be in a Year 4 class this year. Many thanks in advance, Elsie.
    elsie99@hotmail.co.uk

11. Sorry to be cheeky but any chance of a copy of your plans as we are hoping to switch to topic based teaching? Thanks in advance
    kempsuzanne@aol.com

12. MsK

MsK

13. Please,please could you send me the topics too. I am starting in Y3 in September and it would really help.
    tillyban@btinternet.com

14. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

we are changing over to Hamilton Trust topics. Adapting them for our own use.
    Have a look at their free topics for KS1 and KS2
    http://www.hamilton-trust.org.uk

15. hi fluffsterfluffser can I also be cheeky and ask for a copy of your plan - might help me get my head around my topic based planning for next year with KS1 - hope you dont mind. thanks. mrsannegrant@yahoo.co.uk