1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Topic - Australia

Discussion in 'Primary' started by francesmay, Apr 11, 2012.

1. francesmay

francesmay New commenter

<font face="Times New Roman"><font size="3">Hi,</font> <font size="3">I work in KS1. After the holidays we are starting a new topic about Australia. I have done planning for this linked to geography - contrasting environments etc. - and a little on the history of Australia (as a school we are looking at the Olympics so a little of this in the history section too). We've planned lots of art and DT (looking at Aboriginal dot painting and then producing our own using a different tools (as well as, hopefully, some mosaics) and then looking at different Aboriginal shelters and planning, building and evaluating our own UK shelters. If anyone else is interested there are some fab plans at http://www.green-flag.org.uk/SchoolIntro.aspx) We've also planned in some cooking - as Anzac day is coming up we are going to make and evaluate Anzac cookies. We're going to listen to Aboriginal music and look at the different instruments used in different part of the country. Hopefully we will then be able to use materials from our forest school to create our own instruments and music.
    I was wondering if anyone else has done Australia as a topic and has any ideas/recommendations of areas to look at/cover? </font>
    <font size="3">Thanks a lot and happy Easter!</font>
    <font size="3">FrancesMay</font>
    </font>

2. CB123

CB123 New commenter

Ive done a short topic with year 4 (well we did it on the contient Australasia). We made digeredoos - kitchen roll tube, painted with aberiginal art. We then used plasticne for the end. Some actually worked.
    We looked at the coral reef. I have been a few times and so we were able to look at a lot of pictures we had. We linked it to the film Finding Nemo.
    We did some work on conservation (may be a bit too much for year 1 though)
    As we did it on the continent we also looked at New Zealand and I taught the children the Haka dance and we did rugby for outdoor PE
    It was 2 years ago now so cant remember anything else but if i do Ill add to this

3. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

<font size="3">
    Don't know if anyone in your class needs a mixed bag of activities? Try my Australia and NZ Activity Book with symbol support.
    <font size="3"></font>

4. francesmay

francesmay New commenter

Thank you so much - these resources (not just the Australia ones!) will be so useful for me and my class and will save me hours of time!