1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Top Trumps for mode, median, mean or range ???

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by didster33, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Hello
    I am to do a lesson on mmmr and I am to use Top Trumps. Can anyone suggest a way thatI do this. I do understand the rules of Top Trumps and can get some resources from TES but how can I teach mmmr with them - without just laying the cards on the desk for them to look at the numbers?
    Thanks

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Why?
    If I remember rightly on top trumps you choose a value to compare e.g. top speed, value etc. I wouldn't suggest averaging these for one card as that would be meaningless.
    You could get each student to pick out 3, 4 or 5 cards and compare the average of one of the values. They could pick to use mean, median or mode depending on what gives them the best result. They would need a good understanding to be able to do this effectively though so how it would work would depend on the ability of the group. It might be overcomplicated for a weaker group.

3. I think it only makes sense to the students if they really understand top trumps and have an interest in winning a game which takes a little white to establish. I'm not sure you can do that in just one lesson. If possible I would do a lead in where they get to play a game as a treat at the end of a previous lesson so they have at least some familiarity with the game.
    Once you've got that established the main aim is to properly engage students in conversations as to which statistic would be of most use to them in winning a game.
    One way would be to tell them they're going to play a critical game with a new pack - different numbers, different parameters for the numbers. It's critical they win. Which statistic are they going to choose?
    You can scaffold this in many ways and of course the lead in activities you will do to make sure students understand both the game and how to calculate the statistics depend on the prior knowledge of the students. Boys versus girls for the critical match? What's the prize?

4. What a load of garbage. Who is suggesting you do this? I can only think that its (i) a teacher training course or (ii) your HoD who is taking the p*5s out of you
    Rarely do I quote wiki but here we are:
    "Top Trumps was a popular children's card game in the United Kingdom in the 1970s and 1980s, especially amongst boys, for whom it was a popular playground pastime. The topics tended to reflect this, and included military hardware, modes of transport and racing cars."
    The topic is hard enough for some kids to master. Having a teacher who has had it forced on them and using an outdated game is even more strange. Using hooks is about sparking rich experiences with kids.
    I assume the lesson will insist on cross curricular links with music when you chant the "hey diddle diddle...the mode is in the middle...blah etc etc " right?

5. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

Actually, wiki itself is out of date. My son and nephews were certainly keen on top trumps about six years ago - it seemed to be going through a revival at that point. As secondary age students, now, they will understand top trumps well. Whether, or not, it is worth going to all that effort, I don't know - I think it could well work. Personally, I think the standards unit stuff on the three m's and range is superb. Why reinvent the wheel?

6. Lots of kids are still into top trumps. It's just taht some in your class probably won't be and you need to ensure they all have experience of the game or the lesson won't work.
    There are currently some really good one which deal with many aspects of number free with cheese strings. We've been playing them. You get six with each pack of cheese strings and, surprisingly, six is actually enough for a decent game!
    Mr Cheese string goes to different countries. The 'stats' include negative numbers (minimum temp of country), numbers in millions (population) and decimals.
    Games like this can make rapid links between many aspects of maths which is a very sound thing to do from time to time. It's certainly not necessary all the time and shouldn't be part of a rolled out national strategy for many reasons. National projects should be more easily tranferrable that this. That doesn't mean this isn't a good way to learn.
    Research shows that many students benefit from their learning being embedded in experiences they can easily recall. I think you'll find that some of your students will really benefit from an approach like this while others are totally at ease with more abstract routes to learning.

7. Wiki is pooragreed.
    I had my year 8/11/13s today and asked them about top trumps and probably about 1/3 knew them but around half of that could explain them. Only one girl knew the deal.
    I think the same is happening with card games as so many classess these days are saying "How many different types of cards are there?" Lots of ageing concepts are still used to make the link to maths as we as teachers had them as a kid yet the young folk of today often have trouble with the maths fuether heightened by another alien concept.
    Despite POTENTIAL gender bias I think a good sporting league table is one of the most powerful tools for many kids in KS3/4 and give rise to good disucssion on stats.
    Does the number of points have any correlation to goal difference in soccer Golf score cards can look at removing extreme data or even understanding subtracting negative numbers increases a value.
    Forcing a lesson to be taught on a niche outdated concept is IMO is not conducive to getting the most out of a topic (even less so if they are the usual 'monster truck sets' as girls love those don't they [​IMG])

8. No doubt there is a lot of data and statistics in sports - heck you could spend ages working out median time to score first goal, mean goals scored, etc - but there is a big potential for gender bias.
    Cards - Top Trump, Pokeman - again something about these cards yell gender bias. Certain blokes are inherently drawn to statistics and data.
    How about real data? Look at the police website - median number of crimes in your town. How many below the mean? Great data for CF / histograms for the brighter set.
    House prices - lots of real data.
    It's just a matter of getting a good data set that will spark the interest.
    Oooh - music - time in top ten?
    Films - have films got longer over the last ten years? Seems like it.