1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Top tips to keep em listening please!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bertsgirl, Mar 11, 2011.

1. bertsgirl

bertsgirl New commenter

I'm currently covering ppa time across ks1. I'm finding it really hard to get the kids quiet initially for a lesson input, then keep their attention. I try to keep inputs short but need to cover the main points. The classes seem so niggly, they're always telling tales and irritating each other. They can't sit still. Yet I've seen them when the class teacher is in there and they are so much better. It must be me. I praise those who are listening well but do realise I'm giving more attention to those who are not because they are so distracting. So I need some tips, what works for you?

2. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Stagger in the input? Technically if they're ks1 they're probably still getting some structured / c.i play.... so couldn't you input a small group at a time while the others play, then rotate?

3. Not in all schools! They certainly wouldn't be in ours.
    Make your expectations clear and be firm with sanctions. I have some boys who have their moments of trying to get attention/not listening on the carpet etc. Without even looking at them I just say 'Jonny, stand up. When you have stopped being silly you can sit back down again'.
    They don't do it again after that!