1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Top tips please?

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by lillipad, Sep 19, 2018.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I've recently started a job share - 3 days per week. However, having had my own class for many years, I'm finding it tricky to manage my time.
    I am trying to do all of the marking before I finish, so that no leftovers are there for my partner, but it means that I'm there until about 6pm having arrived at 07.45 in the morning.
    During the day, I'm flying around the school trying to organise things, photocopy, get resources and stuff, oh and teach! When I get home, I'm having to plan as I haven't got time to sit down and plan a whole chunk of lessons!

Please share your top tips with me for how to work part time and not explode!

Thank you!

2. SelectMyTutor

SelectMyTutor New commenter

You have to focus on time management because it is important for building communication between family and teaching. You can start online classes that can save your journey time and also choose a location that may be nearest to all students. Thank you.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. Purplepasta326

Purplepasta326 New commenter

Hi lillipad!

Well done for securing a pt post- these are like gold dust!

The hours you are working sound about the same as what I do.

I do 3 days and am in by 8 and 2 of my days stay till around 5.30/6 and rarely have a lunch- but on the plus side I don’t take Work home anymore, I say that’s enough and have 4 full days to be a mummy.

Do as much marking in class with instant response, and set up strong systems of per/self assessmen- one of my faves is getting the children to write their own success criteria, then getting them to underline where they have met that in green- means I can focus my marking straight away. Try to build in as much afl as possible!

Also start every day with a list of priorities- if they don’t get done, they don’t get done. I’ve also decided that at the moment I’m not going to be the ‘outstanding’ teacher I was before as I can’t jump through the hoops needed to do that. The classroom and the kids are my priority during my working day and as long as my lessons are good enough for them, they get taught what they need to and make progress that’s enough.

Good luck- it will take time but you will find what works for you. X

ataylor97, times2teacher and lala24 like this.
  4. lisa_maf

lisa_maf New commenter

Your days sound pretty normal to me! I work 0.4 and share a class with a jobshare. I get in early, leave late, try to mark in lessons as much as possible, work through lunch either marking or getting resources ready for that afternoon or the following week. The weeks when we have an after school meeting are worst as I don't have any time to do anything after school as I leave as soon as the meeting's done.

I try to get as much ready for the following week so that I don't have so much to do on a day to day basis, and have to accept that sometimes my marking will be a week behind, or a half term behind in terms of science/ RE etc!

5. MsOnline

MsOnline New commenter

Tips/ideas:
    Agree and stick to class timetable so you know which foundation subjects you'll teach for the half term.

Once you've done the above you won't need to mark all foundation subjects on the same day as they won't be needed the next day.

Use peer and self assessment as a valuable wat to cut down marking. Very do-able in maths and comprehension. Plus pupils need to learn how to self-reflect.

Be strict with yourself, put an alarm on and whatever y

6. MsOnline

MsOnline New commenter

Oops read this 1

Tips/ideas:
    Agree and stick to class timetable so you know which foundation subjects you'll teach for the half term.

Once you've done the above you won't need to mark all foundation subjects on the same day as they won't be needed the next day.

Use peer and self assessment as a valuable way to cut down marking. Very do-able in maths and comprehension. Plus pupils need to learn how to self-reflect.

Be strict with yourself, put an alarm on and whatever you can't do will have to wait.

Speak to your partner teacher - are they feeling the same? If not, why not? Share tips. If yes come up with solutions.

Mark 1 piece of writing per child a day max. This is important for KS2. Is it realistic to quality mark 90 books at the end of a tiring day in Y6 for example?

Be creative - depending on school culture - does every outcome need to be a written one?

Make a list of all the things that are proving time consuming and try to cut them out! Use online resources.

Not sure on your family situation but plan something after work that you have to attend at a set time.

Hope this is useful - we've all been there but there's no point being p/t if you work F/t hours.

annascience2012 likes this.