1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Top tips on becoming a SENCo

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by peninhair, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Hello everyone,
    I am going to be SENCo in a mainstream primary (where I currently work) next academic year. I'm really looking forward to it as it is always something I have wanted to do. Just wondered if anybody here had any top tips.

Thank you in advance.

2. Thanks for replying NettyMc.
    I am awaiting the dates from my LA for the training. I have been told that it is 5 days over the course of the year and again with an affiliated Uni, although the course is delivered a lot nearer to me than the uni actually is thank goodness. They will send me the details when they are ready!
    So far have purchased 2 books 101 Essential Lists for SENCos and How To Survive and Succeed as a SENCo in the Primary School. Neither of them have been given as reading but looked useful.

3. purplepixie

purplepixie New commenter

Hey noobs! [​IMG] OK, sorry - only kidding.

The books you want to buy are "Beating Bureaucracy in Special Educational Needs" and "Doing Your Research Project". The first is essential for life as a SENCO and the second for your action research module, which I'm assuming you'll probably have to do, if your course is anything like mine. I've just finished my second module and I'm based in Essex, so if you want any tips and you're nearby let me know!

OP, I don't know what being SENCO is like at your school. Can you give some ideas of your teaching/SENCO balance, how much management time you get, what duties you are expected to perform, who is around to help you, the number of children on the SEN register... that sort of thing.

My school is two-form entry in Harlow, which is suburban, fairly low socio-economic area with above-average SEN and FSMs. I work full time as a teacher but I get two half-days management time. Sometimes I have to ask for more time. There is a devoted SEN LSA who works with SA+ children and speech and language. The SLT deal with CAFs, vulnerable children and liaise directly with the governing body - although now that I'm "fully fledged", as my HT put it, I'm hoping to take on more responsibility!

Let me know - then I can give you the tips as I see them :)

4. Thanks for replying, i'm not nearby but if it's meant to be a national award then is it too much to assume that their should be some similarities?
    Will try to give an overview without being too specific. Single form entry (approx 200 ch), middle class (few free school dinners etc) slightly below average on SEN record. 2 statements and rest SA or SA+. Dedicated TAs in all classrooms to work on IEP targets + other intervention, including wave2. Also have a TA 1/2 week with specific focus on SEN paperwork. Balance will be full time class teacher, PPA + additional afternoon a week + 1 day per half term. Will be overseeing interventions, TAs & training and lots of analysis of progress for all children - identifying etc.
    I am stepping into the shoes of a SENCo who has been doing it well for many years.

5. Hi all,

I too am beginning the senco course in September. It would be good to hear how you get on and to share experiences once the course begins. I don't really know what to expect, other than the workload is quite tough. Realising this I am keen to do any reading over the summer whilst I have the time. So if anyone else has any recommendations, I would be more than grateful!

Thank you.