1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Top Tips. How to get lots of supply work

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by AnonL, Feb 8, 2016.

1. AnonL

AnonL New commenter

How to get loads of offers
    1. Be sick
    2. Get another job due to months of none (hey presto, the phone will never stop)
    3. Go on Holiday
    4. Make any arrangement to make it impossible to do any

How not to get any
    1. Be available
    2. circulate lots of cvs to schools and market yourself fully
    3. Call schools and appear keen
    4. Have no arrangement planned
    5. Be healthy and available

This is the 100 per cent truth.

les25paul likes this.
  2. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

That's my experience....

AnonL likes this.
  3. AnonL

AnonL New commenter

Likewise.
    I started a new part time but continuous job which is lower paid than teaching last week for 4 days a week bar Monday due to supply being utterly dire the entire academic year.
    I only had 10 days offered in total from end may 2015 right up to 1 week ago when I started my new job last week. Now the phone is ringing constantly. It is thoroughly depressing and disheartening
    In September I circulated my cv amd references around loads of schools, spoke to cover organisers, brushed up on subjects, was willing to do long and short term plus travel any distance. Still zilch. No work hardly for over half a year ( from September to May last year it was good however).
    However, since last week I am flooded with calls. The only problem, I cannot do them now.
    I hate the whole supply lottery. I am sticking with my part time job and going to try to get supply on the Monday off, and look again for permanent jobs. It's a disheartening industry all round. Schools are fickle, it is unpredictable etc etc. It is in no way less stressful than a permanent post due to an uncertainty with livlihood. opinions?

4. pleasemiss__

pleasemiss__ Occasional commenter

Oh I so sorry to hear that the phone has suddenly started ringing when you've taken on a new job. I think it's wise to stick with your part time job, it seems like supply just simply can't be trusted to be reliable when you need it to be, and presumably your new role is guaranteed regular income until you decide to leave.

I absolutely believe that supply work is in no way less stressful than permanent work. It's a different kind of stress, but it's certainly still stressful. I feel concerned about when I'll get paid, how long my contracts will last and what I'll be doing two... three weeks from now. It's scary and it's no way to live. I know that I'm ready to find something else, either back in the permanent realm or outside of education.

5. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Why is it on cold wet days there is little in the way of supply work but on the nice clear and sunny days there is plenty? o_O

6. pixiewixiepixie

pixiewixiepixie Occasional commenter

Lots of supply work around South of London. I just keep upping my rates until the phone slows down although have a long term contract til Easter now at £240 a day. I love being my own boss, the longer holidays, the flexibility of supply and sticking two fingers up to a school if they start coming on heavy and demanding data that I can't collect in the 7 hours a day I'm in school.

7. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

I know this was the time of year I used to be really ill so perhaps it's a blip. Half term next week so maybe everyone will have time to recover and the phone will stop ringing.

I've been ill so I'm taking time out but the phone suddenly started ringing for me as well.

Before Christmas I made plans to decorate so some work came up. I did it but I think that's how I got run down (60 mile round trip for 7 working days)..

Try not to look back. I'm looking at entry level admin jobs.

8. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Had you told your agency (or used them as a reference) of your new job? It makes you wonder if they are doing it on purpose.

9. WillyDjangoReinhardt

WillyDjangoReinhardt Occasional commenter

Agreed but now is the busiest time of year. So during this period it no longer applies but does sept to jan the april to july