1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Top Tips for Teaching Computer Science

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by edulitolearn, Sep 5, 2018.

1. edulitolearn

edulitolearn New commenter

1. Make use of what is happening in the news – Every day there is a new tech story. Where possible make the tech news item part of your lesson, particularly where there is a specific link to the specification that you are teaching.

2. When you are teaching programming theory, integrate practical elements into the lesson so that students can make the connection between the theory and its application. Start with simple applications and work your way to more complex applications.

3. Encourage students to write algorithms/programs in pairs. Students can feel quite isolated especially when you have asked them to solve a problem. This often works best if you have a more able student paired with a less able student. Make sure that they swap places so that each of them has an opportunity to control the paper/device that they are using.

Do you have any top tips?

2. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

Have a stash of resources available that the more able students can access independently. That allows you the time to physically get around the classroom and support the less able ones, without the more capable students becoming bored and restless and going off piste.

3. ianryder1

ianryder1 New commenter

Thanks, starting new secondary teaching role on Monday so any more pearls of wisdom greatly appreciated :)

4. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

In my experience students, particularly very able ones, absolutely hate paired work particularly if you've put them with others of radically different ability (or work ethic). and I have spent far too much of my time over the decades dealing with my tutor group's classroom and relationship problems caused by this and this alone in a wide variety of subjects

Even the paired work evangelists state that students should be paired with others of similar ability. If you insist on instigating this very much under researched and unproven method then you need to think very carefully about the pairs and the rest of the methodology you use with this set up

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    SundaeTrifle and elder_cat like this.
  5. kritisharma1

kritisharma1 New commenter

The most important thing is that you have to be updated always because in every day or you can say in every minute there are lots of inventions and updations are coming in the computer field.

6. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

I've started to collate useful news stories:
    https://www.advanced-ict.info/theory/impact.html

For "high transfer" skills, such as programming, worked examples are helpful - I'm working on a set of sample solutions for the tasks in the OCR Coding Challenges booklet: https://www.advanced-ict.info/programming/OCR_coding_challenges.html

Finally, don't forget psychology and other aspects of evidence-based practice - e.g. don't get students to create a model of the fetch-execute cycle from egg boxes and string unless you're sure that it's going to help: https://www.advanced-ict.info/theory/learning.html

binaryhex likes this.
  7. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

That's much more true of ICT - Computer Science is now quite a mature subject. The current GCSE includes many of the things that I learnt at school in the 80s - the fetch-execute cycle was invented in 1945, Quicksort and TCP/IP were invented in the 1960s, etc.

SundaeTrifle likes this.