1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Top tips for newbies?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by mad.scientist, Aug 29, 2012.

1. So TES forum posters... What are your top tips for teachers starting their first job next week?

2. Keep life in perspective. Yes it's a hard job and it can easily take over your life but remember that it is a job. You work so that you can enjoy life.
    I lost track of that and work took over. Not a nice place to be. That was after more than 30 years in the job though. But I see so many young teachers almost in competition with each other to see who has the prettiest classroom buying so much stuff from Ikea etc, who has planned the most fantastic lesson etc. Do your best, work hard, but enjoy life too.outside work.

3. scienceteacha

scienceteacha New commenter

Enjoy your NQT year and the experience of having your own class(es) for the first time. Use all the support/training you are offered and observe other colleagues if you get the chance. Enjoy this period of your career when you are young, energetic and you havent seen enough to make you deeply, deeply cynical about the whole profession. Because, by Year 2, your timetable will increase and you'll be metaphorically thrown to the wolves.

4. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

get some sleep, take vitamins, and lay in a stock of painkillers. guard your pens with your life. lose the rose tinted specs, if you had any!
    and enjoy. it's not that bad ;)

5. Great advice above. I would also add:
    - listen more than you talk
    - seek and act upon advice
    - don't try to be a smartarse in the staffroom (or classroom!)
    - accept that you can't do everything, so prioritise
    - tune in to staffroom politics but steer clear in the early days
    - above all, be postive - don't let the cynics grind you down
    Enjoy your new job. Remember, that's what you've been working towards for a long time.

6. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Don't take it to heart!

7. Don't worry, you'll be fine on 16 weeks holiday a year.

8. Don't think you know it all already.
    Too many youngsters seem to think they can teach us all everything. You can teach us some things, that's why it's good to have new blood in schools , but experience counts for a lot too although some heads need persuading about this.

9. erp77

erp77 New commenter

Ask for help if you need it - much better to get little problems fixed then have them turn into giant problems

Learn to say 'no' - don't take on more than you can handle

If you get a chance, observe some of the other members of your department or other members of staff (different subjects) that teach the same classes as you

Have a diary and a notebook, write everything down, it's great to cross something off your to do list.

Set aside at least one night per week for a little 'me' time.

Start taking echinacea and berrocca now!

10. erp77

erp77 New commenter

Take your own mug

Bring a big tin of biscuits for your department

Try to keep out of staff room bitching and gossiping

Make friends with the caretaker and cleaners (or at least keep on their good side)

11. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Woo Hoo an extra 3, when will I get them? Can I take them now?

12. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I'd love that too. Although I'm disappointed it's fallen since the last time she posted about the holidays when it was 23. I blame government cuts.

13. 7 plus 2+ plus 2+ plus 3 plus bank holidays, plus insets and Baker days...........and thats just the public sector. The 23 was the private don't you know?

14. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

195 working days + 104 weekend days = 299
    365-299 = 66
    66/7 = 9 weeks and 3 days.
    Of course, you can count on working for some of those weekend days and a few days (in total) of your holidays.
    It's always useful to ask someone who can count...

15. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Errr.... 6 + 2 + 2 + 3. Most bank holidays fall in school holidays (really annoying, it's MY holiday and then I have to share it with the hoards of shirkers). We work on inset days you know, it really isn't a holiday, I usually do more on them than I did on many ordinary "working" days when I wasn't a teacher, and Baker days became insets so you can't have them twice.
    I thought you'd flounced off anyway from these poisoned shores.

16. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

no doubt she had **** teachers. "baker"days are working days and haven't been referred to as Baker days since last century.

17. You can massage the figures all you like according to the union doctrine, but us lay people can read, add up and spot contractual dressing. As to the extra work... forget it... more the other way round.
    Just another con by the public sector pretending they are worth more than they are, sorry to say.

18. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Oh she has but she's clearly bored or unemployed and trying her best to get a rise. After 37 days off I'm too chilled to play, how about you?

19. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

yeah, curlygirly, she's clearly not as chilled as us. poor thing.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

No...I can count. That's the difference between your daft figures and mine.
    We all know that you have a somewhat peculiar problem with teachers but that won't change the facts. We're very honoured that you choose to spend time posting to and about them on here - it reminds us that there are some parents out there who are a little odd.