1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

top tips for CI learning

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by jackieNN, Feb 12, 2011.

1. We turned our role play area into a 'party area' and had pirate, car, alien invitations/cards in our pencil play area and the boys really enjoyed this.

2. We have a 'planning board' which consists of pictures of all the areas in the classroom eg, sand, creative etc. We have different numbers of velcro strips on the board (depending on how many children can visit those areas) and the children put their name card next to where they plan to do their learning. During the session we have plan, do review time where they can re-plan and change to something else. We keep a note of where they plan for and over the week, encourage them to carry out their learning in other areas. Works for me and the children can refer back to the board to see what they had/can plan.

3. Thanks for replies x planning board sounds like a good idea - can I ask a couple of silly questions!?!
    When do they put their name cards on the board? - is this after a whole class input or 1st things?? Do you start with an empty board each day? and finally (haha for now!) can you tell me more of your plan do review time? I do a circle time at end of sessions ie before whole school playtimes/lunchtime. Is it the same??

Thank you so much - anyone else tell me how you set out CI learning so its not a free for all - I have to admit sometimes mine is!!!! Thanks

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

5. Hi Msz, I'm obsessed with abc does blog!!! Hes such an inspiration I'd love to see him in action. I think my conclusion is I have weak observation during C.I play because I'm so into on my adult directed groups !!
    Its thoes children that always go on the bikes!! and then when I dont put them out - thinking they'll somewhere else they playfight!! How can I engage these groups during CI time - sometimes theres a free adult but sometimes both adults are doing adult directed work xx
    Thansk for any tips Msz - you always give sensible advise. xx

6. We do the planning boards after our initial language for thinking time. We recap the activities for them to choose and then they choose what they would like to do. We try to do plan, do, review about mid way through the session. It gives them an opportunity to review what and where they have been doing their learning and also to plan for new area.
    Towards the end of the session we have tidy up time and then have a plenary where the children reflect on the session and what they have been learning.
    Hope this helps!

7. I remember being an enthusiast about 'Plan, Do, Review' at some point in the past, but these days I find the whole concept deeply depressing.
    I'm not saying this to denigrate the admirable efforts of people on this thread to optimise learning in CI activities. However, I wonder if 'Plan, Do, Review' fits with the idea of free play at all. Surely it turns free play into work in the twinkling of an eye if we oblige children to plan without the benefit of hands on experience, decide what to do before they have the chance to experiment, and review when what they found they wanted to do is finished, done and dusted. I remember when, as an avid reader aged about 10 someone suddenly decided it would be a good idea for me to write reviews of the books i was reading. How soon was the joy sucked out of each reading experience by having to turn that playful delight into work someone else felt would be good for me.
    So, the only circumstances in which I do any plan, do review (in nursery, admittedly. not reception) is when the subject arises naturally from conversation with the children. We sometimes 'plan' when there is a new activity available and we talk through possibilities as a group, and we sometimes 'review' what we did when we are eating snack if the children are interested. All other interaction about CI play happens in the environment during CI play., which is when children are most motivated to talk through their immediate and present experiences.

8. Msz

Hi
    I can confirm that Alistair in person is even more inspiring and still the best whole school INST day so far.
    It sounds from your initial post that you have lots of things going on but the children don't know what to pick so are getting everything available out?
    If this is the case I would "remove" (physically if practical) some of the choice and model how to use resources and put them away before moving onto something new.
    Personally I wouldn't worry if a child "sticks" with 1 area as sometimes it is a security thing or just consolidating new experiences.
    The best way I find to get boys to the writing area is to sit down in there with some new resources - for example I found "spy" pens that did invisible writing a huge attraction

9. Thank you for your replies - the tes chatroom is so helpful. I think Msz has it in a nutshell!! too much choice and not enough modeling!!! yep thats me x Just been out for tea and funny enough when I meantioned this to my sister - she said why not remove some choice!! Great minds.

I think when your new to a year group you slightly run before you can walk. My Spring term is def finding out whats been working and adapting the things that haven't by reviewing my own practice.

Might try a choice board but interesting thoughts from other poster! xx I'm now on re-thinking when and how to hear induvidual readers xx

10. Msz

Have to say I'm with thumbie re plan do and review

11. It makes alot of sense thank you x

12. I have seen the plan, do, review system operated by a truely Highscope setting and found it extremely liberating and appropriate as that was the emphasis of their whole day! However, I can also run with Thumbie's thoughts and wonder how much damage we actually do with the current practise of target setting and making children aware of what to do next etc although this is not so apparent in FS as in later Key stages.
    Back to topic, however, there is some excellent advice on hertsgfl re CI planning that might help as a focus.